1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by yahooooo, Apr 29, 2009.

1. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Well, I am pretty much out to my parents!! :O

One hell of a stressful few days. Basically mummy and daddy found out about the self harming and tried to confront me about it. It was either I told them in my way or they corner me into telling, them so I wrote them a letter explaining everything. To keep it short I explained things, told them about the help I'm getting and then - that my sexuality is one of the problems. I didn't want to go into specifics so I just admitted liking girls and that they were probably going to end up with a daughter in law rather than a son in law!

I wasn't exactly planning any of this it just all sort of happened and as I had to come clean about the one issue I just decided to tell them about that one as well. They were really positive about it actually and my sexuality really doesn't seem to be an issue. The other thing was much harder for them which was to be expected but hopefully things will get better.

So, OMG I'm actually out to my parents!! Oh - and another nurse, counciller type person and one other!!!!

I'm exhausted and wish I hadn't told them about it all as it was horrid to see how upset they were from me keeping things from them but it's done.

2. Melissa

A huge congrats to you! I hope you feel better now. : )

3. Magnet

Congratulations :thumbsup:

4. EM68

Congrats!!

5. Bryan44

Congrats. Hopefully things will start to look better for you now!

6. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Congratulations!

I know how stressful this has all been for you - and how it's been building up for ages and ages, with virtually no respite - and I'm really glad that you're finally out to them (about everything) and that they seem OK with it. I think that a lot of it is that now that they know what's been on your mind, their minds aren't wandering here and there and it sounds like they're just glad to know what's wrong.

I know this has been really really difficult with things basically ending up by spinning out of control - but I think you did the right thing by in the end by writing them a letter so that you could say exactly what you wanted to say rather than being confronted and having to come out with it all in a way that wasn't under your control. I am so glad that, in spite of everything and all the trouble and stress you've been having, that things have gone OK. And the thing is: the worst of it is over with. That is the best thing! Things can only go up now! And it looks like (hopefully) that you have your parents as allies. Which is awesome.

Also - you do realise don't you that we're virtually coming-out sisters???!! I mean, what with me coming out to my mum a few weeks ago and you coming out now! (And am I right in thinking that we came out to ourselves at about the same time too? Spooky!!). Although you're ahead of me because you're out to both parents... But coming-out sisters - YAY! (!)

I am really, really, really glad that it's gone OK for you - I mean, maybe your parents will want to talk to you more about the sexuality aspect at some later date, but I think that in any case the fact that they now know what's going on may mean that they'll let up a little bit so you can have a bit of breathing space. I'm glad that you told them about the help you're receiving - that'll help put their minds a little more at rest I think.

Just think: IT'S DONE. You don't have to come out to them again. I mean, even if you have to reiterate it at some later date, IT'S DONE. And think about - by the time you're my age, they'll have had ages to think about it!

But I hope that everything else is going OK too, and I hope that your parents now knowing and being OK with it and the support you're getting help on the self-harm front. I really hope that. But I'd better go now and I hope to catch up with you soon! xxx

ps. - It is exhausting, isn't it? So unbelievably exhausting and stressful! Although with myself now I don't know what all the fuss was about... But CONGRATS and I hope this means you can start relaxing and feel a bit more better about things! x

#6 ccdd, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  7. CometCat

Huge grats! :grin:

8. DexterMorgan

Congratulations!!!

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations! I hope that you can get rid of this extra stress in your life now and stop the self-harming.

10. Mickey

Good for you! Now,please,take care of yourself. I'm glad that you're getting the help you need. I hope it helps you to stop hurting yourself. The best to you,sweetie.

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! Having come out to them, hopefully this will help you to reduce some of your stress levels. I am glad and happy for you that your parents are accepting and supportive. It's great that you were able to come out to them!

12. JakeBHT

I wish i had done that when my mum found out I was selfharming, but I struggled to tell her anything, she's so aggressive.