1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so annoyed with myself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by moonlight, May 11, 2009.

1. moonlight

I just had the perfect opportunity to come out to my sister, which I have been wanting to do for ages. We were messaging each other and we were discussing lots of things, we talked about me going back to college in september and that hopefully I would be able to meet someone and she came out with a comment about which University I should apply to when I start a college(long complicated story) and the fact that it has lot of nice men there. I started typing my response but I deleted it, I don't want to tell her over the computer, I want to tell her face to face. But that is difficult as we don't see each other than often because we live quite a distance from each other. Not only that she is having a tough time at the moment and I didn't want to add to her problems.

I am just so frustrated and annoyed with myself.

Should I have taken the opportunity or have I done the right thing waiting to tell her in person?

2. Alex19

do what u feel is right. if u wanna tell her in person, do that. if u wanna tell her over the net and get it over with, thats good too. it sounds like your ready to do it, so im sure everything will go fine if u do.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww (*hug*) (*hug*) dont beat yourself up over it, I think lots of people back down at the last minute of trying to tell someone. I say do it however you feel more comfortable, pm if you like. Unless you think she will react badly i dont think you would be adding to her problems (*hug*)

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Don't be too hard on yourself. It's okay if you haven't been able to come out to her. You will have another chance or other opportunities to do so. (*hug*)

Bit curious here but why do you think that your coming out would 'add to her problems'?
    If you want her to know sooner rather than later and feel ready to come out to her, maybe you could write her a letter, which still would be very personal. If you feel that it would be best talking to her in person, give it a try the next time you see her. But you know, it doesn't matter how many times you try. Go with what ever you feel comfortable with. Every time you try, you are getting one step closer to it.

5. moonlight

Hi, Thank you all for the replies.

Asteroid, I think that the idea of writting a letter is a very good one and I will seriously consider it, which will let me bring up the topic and then maybe discuss it at a later date. Although I am ready to tell her I have decided to wait a little bit longer.

Thank you all for your replies that have been very helpful.

6. EM68

If you are looking for ideas for coming out letters. There is a number of examples in the resource section.

When you come out to your sister, good luck :slight_smile:

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're probably recognizing that the "perfect" time never comes. When opportunities arise, you can always find a reason not to do it. "I'd rather do it face to face", "she's got a lot on her plate right now", "I don't want to make this all about me right now". That's why you sometimes just need to get it done. So best of luck with it. :slight_smile:

Lex