1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad reactions?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Pasalacqua, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Pasalacqua

When I came out, my family was fine with it, and the majority of my friends were, too.
    I've only had one friend react badly to it. She insisted that it was just a phase and that I was just confused and it would pass. Well, we don't really talk much anymore.

The only other negative reaction I got was from this guy that sat close to me in a class. We weren't really friends, and I find this a bit funny actually. I'm pretty sure he had a crush or something on me, but we somehow got on the topic one day of our school's newly formed GSA, and I mentioned that I was in it. He said "What, are you gay?" in a joking manner, and I told him that I was. He stared at me in disbelief and asked "Are you really?". I said yes, he said "Fuck. God dammit." and we didn't really speak much after that. Any time we did, he seemed kind of pissed.

So, just wondering if any of you had gotten any particularly memorable reactions when you came out that had a less than desirable outcome?

2. Daakota

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my parents two weeks ago. I live about 1,000 miles away from my parents, so I did it while I was on vacation visiting them. My dad hasn't talked to me since before I told them, and my mom and I got into a fight recently because I am not keeping it as secret as she wants me to. I tried to explain to her its not her choice who I tell and don't tell, that its mine, but she can't grasp that idea.

3. Greggers

One person i came out to said "Oh, your choosing to be gay? Well in that case, have a nice life. Buh bye." and cut off contact.

Ironicly? I have been hating on that SO much behind his back long before he said that. He is the anti-christ as far as im concerned.

Hmm, lets see. My mothers went something like this:

"Mom, im....gay"
    "Nope. Your not."
    "...what?"

It was quite funny looking back. She has since accepted im gay, but wants me never to have sex and become a monk who lives in the mountains and looks after disabled children. My friends reaction to that was "She wants to trap you in a place with a bunch of horny men?" and i thought that was quite funny.

I have had alot of BAD reactions, mostly post-coming out, but i find the thing that makes them all better? The fact that i know at least one person out there does love me. If i can find just one who does, then life is worth living. One may tolerate a world of demons for the sake of an angel.

4. Just Adam

greggers that mum one is a perfect example of what my family would say except there would be anger and punches and homelessness.... am i aloud to do preemptive bad reactions here?

5. Greggers

If it helps, she NEVER stopped loving me and she didnt stop me from doing anything i would not normally do after the fact? She just needed time (and still does) to adjust. But the longer you wait to tell them, the more time they are going to need to adjust.

Dont be too afraid of coming out to your family (*hug*) cause honestly its more scary to come out to friends since your family's love for you tends to be stronger and last longer.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had that a couple of times too. Outright denial. "You're not gay. How can you be gay?" I also got plenty of "but you don't look gay!" School was the worst, although I very rarely got anything voert to my face - it was all mumbled behind my back, or online. There was also the time some dickhead filled all the empty space in my locker with dental dams.

7. Just Adam

you would think so but ive only really 1 friend who i dont see to often all other having moved or what ever but good for them onward and upwards but yea family..... lets jsut say they are good people but very old fashioned.. well the ones i live with are and as for farther when i see him that wouldent go well....typeing this i need a beer now or maybe more wine i think ill go buy wine nice strong wine make me forget about coming out ever, or ill start crying by the fact as the only gay world ive seen has been full of shallowness underhand evil actions and people who dont give a shita bout me

8. Just Adam

suppose that was a bad reaction to situation than coming out :S sorry it wasent what was wanted

9. Kaim

Kaim Guest

Most of my reactions have been positive, but there is one that kind of veers off into the bad side a bit. One of my closest friends doesn't agree with homosexuality since he's quite religious and doesn't support gay marriage, but he accepts me as a person and we're very good friends, so long as we don't discuss gay rights and religion (I'm a Catholic gone Atheist and he's a Methodist I believe).

Then there's my brother who found out. He says he's behind me 100%, but doubts I'm gay. He asked stuff like "Why are you gay?" and said "You haven't dated a girl, so how do you know you don't like women?" and wants his girlfriend to take me to a female strip club.

10. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    well its not a bad reaction but my first coming out i went to a frriend

" im gay"
    "pause- really"
    " yes"
    " no i mean really"
    pause
    " really"
    "yes"
    no seriusly really"
    "yes man"
    5 minutes later " oh thats cool then"

11. One of my friends refuses to believe that I'm gay. He doesn't take issue with it or anything, he just thinks that I must be unsure of myself. This is a guy who was, for a time, sexually attracted to Stephanie from Lazy Town. You tell me who's confused. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ah, I love my friends.

12. Glunn11

Oh damn. That made me LOL.
    Well, I haven't taken many risks with coming out. In fact, everyone I've told I was about 80% sure they'd be totally fine with it. I've discovered that I'm still quite vulnerable to the "no you're not" bull, and it's caused me to doubt it. It's silly - I've never had an erotic fantasy involving just a woman, but I think I'll just grow a little bit more before I tell anyone else.

13. GhostDog

Yeah, I had to wait until someone telling me "What? No, you're not!" wouldn't make me go "oh shit, am I?" before I told anyone. But around the time when whenever I thought "what if I'm really straight?", there'd be a little voice going in the back of my head going "Haha, no you're not, stop BSing yourself", and I figured I wasn't going to wake up straight one day and I might as well start telling people.

... That said, nobody's said anything like that to me. They've all either said "really? oh, okay!" or "Yeah, I kind of figured". I don't think I've had a negative reaction yet, though I haven't told anybody I wasn't fairly sure of yet. I shudder to think of what my extended family would say to me. =/

14. littledinosaurs

Once a girl texted me and said "You have mutated chromosomes"
    I don't know if she was talking about me being Bi, but i know she knows and i know that she's uncomfortable with gay People.
    so maybe?
    it was kinda awk cause i got it after so i couldn't respond to it really.
    =\

15. No One

Im dont really want to talk about it but, as many of my older post say, i came out to my mom and then after a series of horrible events between the two of us i un-came out to her. yea ugh.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That sounds like my aunt. My son told her he was gay. She wanted to take him to a house of prostitution so that he could be with a woman. This is so freakin' stupid. Straight people know they are attracted to the opposite sex LONG before they are sexually active. Why would it be different for gay people? DUH!

17. Colly

My father decided he'd *try* and beat the living crap out of me, then disown me completely.

A week after coming out, He kicked me out of the house and said he never wanted to see me ever again.

The end result of this was that my mum eventually found me at a friends house, we then stayed with an aunt of mine and my mother filed for divorce.

Oh I Love hate my family