1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So this is my semi-coming out story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Cotton, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Cotton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Towards the end of the school year I ended up getting a boyfriend and he signed my yearbook saying something about us being together. Well a couple days ago my mom comes up to me and sits down and asks me if I was in fact gay. I said yes, because I am, but she replies saying that I don't look or act gay...so that must mean that I am not.
    I was now offended by her statement that a homosexual man has to fit into the stereotype that a few people believe in for them to be considered gay.

She basically told me that I wasn't gay and that he just influenced me into a relationship because she says that I am just "curious". That is not true on any level but she wouldn't listen to me since it wasn't what she wanted to hear. Also, how she found about my boyfriend also made me mad. My mom had at sometimes read/looked at my yearbook at some time, which i was unaware of until she confronted me.
    My dad soon found out and told me that I should stop talking to the guy totally (which i'm not going to listen to)

Now I have to somehow find another way to tell them that I am gay since they didn't believe me the first time...:***:

2. Mickey

I think they're just in denial. This is a classic response,when parents don't know what to say. My mom said the same thing to me...30 years ago!
    I'd say to let it go,for now,unless they bring it up.
    Continue to be who you are . They know,so now it's up to them to deal with it.
    Good luck! Walk proud!

3. Cotton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks
    I know who I am so it doesn't matter that much if they don't. and I do walk proud!!
    and again thank you lol

4. RaRa

Sounds a lot like my mom.

5. EM68

You may want to print out some PFLAG materials and give it to your parents. When I came out to my parents, I gave them the booklet 'Our Daughters, Our Sons'. Give them some time. They will come around.

6. Greggers

Eh. same thing happened to me :frowning2: Mother didnt believe me.

Thankfully i am a few years older so my mother finally accepted i was gay when i told her multiple times. Age definitely helps cause they realize its not going anywhere.

A few tips:

- Make her read PFLAG material that you can print off there site
    - Repeat to her that you are gay so that it drills into her brain
    - Dont let her try and sent you to an ex-gay ministry if she ever brings that subject up
    - Give her space and time to figure things out for herself