1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Game

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ProfessorLepus, Jun 16, 2009.

1. And now it's my turn to make one of these threads...

Secrets are my weakness. I hate giving up information about myself to anybody. Even my mother. For some reason I can't just tell her that I'm gay.

One thing my mother taught me though, when I have a problem that I don't know how to solve, turn it into a different kind of problem. So I have turned this problem into a computer programming problem.

Based on some of the things I've said on this forum while I've been here (remaining anonymous), you have probably all guessed that I'm a computer guy. I like programming. So I decided that since I like programming, and my mom likes puzzle games (Bejewelled is her favorite, I think), I'll write a game. When she beats it, she gets a message. It's written by me beforehand and the program will only know how to get it when she beats the game. Let me explain.

The game is called Purple Machine. You are given two numbers. One of the numbers is the goal, what you want to get to, and the other is your number. You are given several dials, slidey thingies and buttons. They all change your number in a certain way.

When you get your number right and press "Next Level", the program talks to a server I have running. The conversation is a bit like this:

Purple Machine: Ah, hello Server, how are you this fine evening?
    Server: Quite good, and you?
    PM: Good. Say, I completed this level, here's the solution. *hands Server a crumbled piece of paper*
    S: Ah, very good. Here is your next level. *hands Purple Machine a clean slate*
    PM: kthxbai

For you techies out there, my program and the server establish a TCP handshake, client sends server the solution, server sends client the next puzzle, connection terminated.

If there isn't a next level, then the server knows to hand Purple Machine not another puzzle, but instead my coming out message which I'll let you guys see when my mom has read it. Hell, I'll give you the game and you can work your way up to it yourselves!

Attached is a developmental screenshot. What the actual program looks like is in the centerish, the rest is the program that I'm making it with. The actual computer code is somewhere else.

Attached Files:

2. Totoro

That would be a rather interesting game o-o
    What program is that?
    Otherwise, just wondering if it requires any sort of coding/language... @_@
    Good luck with that!

3. That is Qt Creator by Nokia. I'm writing the game in C++, using the Qt (pronounced "cute") toolkit. Sort of like using a pie crust when making a pie. Qt's the pie crust, and the rest of it, I'm making from scratch.

What you see there is the UI designer, where I determine what the program will look like. The coding comes in when I start deciding how it will work, and what all the buttons there will do.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a cool idea! You might actually have an iPhone app idea there, people could use it to send all sorts of messages they don't want to say in person.

Definitely keep us in the loop. I think it will be interesting to see how it works and her response.

5. No reason I can't make an iPhone app for it. There's a free SDK I could download, and I do have a Mac with Xcode development tools. I'd have to lean Objective-C though.

I'm writing the game so that it can be deployed on Windows, Mac, Linux, and even certain mobile phones. I'll let you guys play the game when my mom's beaten it.

6. moirai

wow that sounds amazing!
    great idea!
    I hope it goes well :slight_smile:

7. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow that is definitly one of the most clever ideas i've ever heard of for coming out. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

8. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I kind of wish I would have thought of this, that'd be really fun.
    Actually it'd be a really fun way to come out to anyone really, just like "check out this game!" and at the end it does it for me.

That's awesome though, applying skills in other areas to a problem at hand. Good job, I hope it goes well :grin:

9. Glunn11

Very creative way to express yourself so that you feel the most comfortable in getting the words out. I hope all goes well! :slight_smile:
    Keep us updated.

10. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is the coolest thing I've ever heard! That's just awesome!

11. Smiley1123

That is super cool!! If only I could be that creative! Good luck :]

12. Thanks for the support, everyone. Expect more developmental screenshots, demos, and stories. Full source code for you geeks out there, eventually.

13. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Way to be creative! I think that is an awesome way to come out, in fact it should be made readily available to the masses. I know nothing about video games or the creation thereof, but this is definitly a crazy cool way to get your message across.

14. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Were I a better hacker with a mom who had puzzle-solving skills and a video game addiction, I would have come out to her by ROMhacking a Zelda dungeon with a penis boss and a message at the end, but alas...

Good luck on that.

15. "Penis boss" is now an EC inside joke.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wow, I'm impressed! There are some real brainiacs on here! :slight_smile: Good luck with it!

17. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Awesome idea! As the other posters already pointed out: very clever and creative. :eusa_clap Good luck to you and your mom!

18. Alexander

That's a super cool idea.

I especially like that you are in a sense telling them you're gay, but not setting a time on it.

And because people usually play games when they're bored, they will find out at a time when they are relaxed. :]

19. moonlight

That is a really cool game and I'm sure your mum will love it, keep us updated with how your mum is getting on with it.
    Good Luck.

20. Some of you have been saying that I should publicly release the game, and I agree. How does this look for a logo?

You see, it's called "Purple Machine", so I made it a purple machine. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Attached Files: