1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to a Coworker!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by EM68, Jul 11, 2009.

1. EM68

I did it! I came out to the gay coworker that I have mentioned in previous threads. Today we both had to walk the lot to find a car. It is a good walk to the section that we both had to go to. I asked how he was doing and he said pretty good mainly working. Then He asked me I told him I am good and just trying to balance my life outside of work also. He then asked aren't you dating someone? I said yes, then he asked where I met them then I said blank.com dating site. I then took breath and said I have something to tell you.

I told him that I am gay and I have a wonderful bf. He was surprised and said he did not peg me for being gay. He said he felt privileged that I could tell him this because he knows how hard it can be to come out. Then I helped him find the car he was looking for. On the way back I asked if he went to Pride, he said no. Then I told him that I went had a blast and I had pictures I could show him. He said that we could talk sometime outside of work and that work was not the place to talk. Lastly I said to him you know how before I left the job last year I was miserable, he said yes, well I was struggling with this and since then I came out to my family and they have been great. He said I could have come to him and talked. I told him that I was not ready then.

So we plan at some point to go out after work and talk a bit. I think it will be good to get his perspective about work before I come out to anyone else. I feel so much better. It has been weighing on me a bit and I just wanted to do it. (!)(!)(!)

2. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    High Five!!!!!!

3. Thisisnew

Awesome congrats.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Good job Ed! :slight_smile:

5. silentsound

That's so awesome I am so happy for you!

6. EM68

UPDATE

Today I talked to the guy that I came out to yesterday. He told me that he was very proud of me. We talked a little bit more today and asked if I was ever depressed. I told him that I probably was but never formally diagnosed. He said that he was depressed before he came out. He said at one point he was addicted to cocaine as part of his way of coping. I told him last fall and even before I was miserable, sad and upset. He said a couple of times he thought I was gay but did not know how to approach me. He said back then I seemed very short and did not know how I would have reacted. He said he did not want to set me off. He said it all makes sense now. Looking back even before I came out to him I realized that I was so miserable last year. Most of it was due to my issues with my sexuality. I told him that I am so happy right now. He said he was glad. We plan to talk more when we go out for drinks.

He said to me that I should talk to another coworker of both of ours and he would be very understanding and supportive. I told him I plan to at the right time. So guess who called me tonight. It was the coworker we talked about. I talked for a few about the job then we started to talk about other stuff and I told him I am very happy and he said he noticed. Then I told him that I wanted to tell him something. I then told him that I am gay and have a bf. Then he told me that he thinks he is gay and have had issues relating to this through out the years. We talked for a bit. It was good for both of us. I told him about EC and how this is a great place. I also told him we could talk any time. I feel so happy right now!! It is such a great feeling!

#6 EM68, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  7. Alex19

kudos! i came out to one of my coworkers via texting!!! it was great- she said she thought it was cute. i LOVE her forever!!!... then she wanted to talk about our manager whom she has a liking for :wink: (man, of course- he does does have a nice ass, i told her haha)

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay! Dancing banana for sure!

(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

9. Mickey

That's awesome ,Ed! It's always great when people accept you.
    Maybe you can help the other guy with his issues,too.
    You know where he's at and you know how you felt (not having someone to talk to about this) and you could be a great support to him.
    You have come so far! Congrats and,as always,I wish you all the best!

10. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Thats awesome, kudos

11. EM68

Thanks Mickey! I plan to help him. We have always been pretty close. We used to go out on Monday nights to watch football and have a few drinks. We have had some pretty deep conversations between us so I don't think it will be to hard to talk about this with him. I hope I can help him accept who he is and be happy with his life.

#11 EM68, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like I said, it's something to get beyond. And once you're beyond it, it frees you up. :slight_smile: Hopefully you can help your coworker, but feel free to send him our way. :wink:

Lex

13. EM68

I do feel a lot freer :slight_smile:

I have told him about EC. I will talk to him again about it.

#13 EM68, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  14. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So happy for you, ed. way to go

15. tm74

tm74 Guest

Woo!

I've gotten the "I'd never guessed" kinda reaction in the past, along with "are you serious?" and "you're kidding?" - but a few of my colleagues are now "in the know" as it were, and so far have been nothing but supportive...

Glad you're now in a position to help someone else too... :slight_smile:

16. EM68

On a Roll...

I came out to another coworker. It was totally unplanned. A saleswoman and I were going to an off site lot and she mentioned how she went on a blind date last night. We then started talking about dating sites and so on. Then she asked me if I was seeing anyone and I said I was dating someone. She then asked me what is her name. I froze and it got awkward. Then I said XXX, she then asked if it was short for XXXXXX. I said, well... I am gay. She the said no way. I said way. Then I told her that I would appreciate it if she did not say anything to anyone for now. She said it was all cool. She then said she had a gay roommate and its no ones business.

We chatted a bit and had a couple of laughs. Even though I know I can trust her, the whole thing was a bit nerve wracking. I do feel better now that I can come out and feel good about it. Its funny, yesterday I changed my out status as not hiding it anymore and I guess I held to it. (!)(!)