1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just another gay mormon

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by 71390S, Jul 18, 2009.

1. 71390S

71390S Guest

Sooooo I came out last January, but I can still post my coming out story right? Cause I could really use a good form of procrastination from math right now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyways, I knew I was "different" when I was really little, maybe 5-7 years old. I'd play with my sister's barbies and make the boys marry boys, and told my mom I'd like to have a husband like her someday. It wasn't sexual at all. My family is Mormon, but we are weird mormons. Politics were not pushed on us, and we were taught not to be evangelical via preaching but by example - serving others and our community as Jesus would. Heh, my mom playfully teased me growing up that I was her faerie boy (HINT HINT, right?!).

Fast forward to when I am 12-13 years old and I catch my mom reading my diary. I'd been writing for a long time how I liked boys and was scared to tell anyone. Soon as I busted her she asked me if I was gay, and I ran outside crying and pissed off at her. lol, she never asked again. From then on until I was 18 I struggled with hiding my feelings and trying to tell my family. When I started public school (mostly home schooled) I became a little more brave because my girl friends were supportive.

And finally, in january when my whole family was together (5 brothers, 1 sister) I told them I like guys, and that it was not going to change. They had what I think is a good reaction. No Bible or BOM scriptures thrown at me, I did get a little speech from my dad about HIV/AIDS but he is mostly just ignorant and worried about how our town would react; being that it's a small farm town in the midwest.

This forum (and other online forums) is my first experience with talking to other GLBT people, who I know are GLBT. I am learning a lot and it's all very exciting.Like I said in my intro thread, I'm looking forward to going to college in the SF bay area and becoming more involved in glbt rights.

:slight_smile:

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on coming out to your family. It sounds like it was a great experience for you! :thumbsup:

3. Justindee13

congrads man i wish one my parents took it liek thataka they dont accept me and 2 i wish even more i could tell my mormon neighbors but they would probally give my mom gay to striahgt camp stuff (no offense haha)
    way to go :slight_smile:

4. 71390S

71390S Guest

Thanks guys =)

I do feel really fortunate, I know not everyone is so lucky :frowning2:

5. Justindee13

yep yep i know i would kill to be u with such a accepting family

6. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Thats a great reaction from your family!

(When I first read the title of this thread I thought it said Just another gay moron lol! :grin:)

7. EM68

Congrats and welcome to EC!

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

well congrats, proud of you. And hey your family sounds great.

9. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    hey snap i thought i was the only gay mormon in the world my family are much more modern and don't believe im going to hell or that im sick