1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of writing a letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by lolz, Jul 22, 2009.

1. lolz

Well, I think I am going to write a letter. I have been reading up on PFLAG for the past couple days and think I have a very good basis of information to at least start a letter. I dont know when I will give it to my parents, but before the summer is over for sure. I was wondering if this seems "cowardly" compare to just sitting and talking with them. They are generally open people but for some reason I really want to write a letter.

Also, my mother is about the nicest person I know, but she is bipolar. She takes meds for it so its controlled on a day to day basis and she sometimes says what she is "truly" feeling. When my older brother was little she would sometimes rudely ask him if he was a fag/queer because he always hung out with his friends. These yelling "outbursts" are virtually nonexistent now, but every once in a while when she has too much on her plate she goes south. I dont know if this should be a factor in my coming out process. I know deep down she loves me no matter what, but I am just afraid of what might be said.

2. EM68

It's not cowardly at all. I came out to my parents by letter. There is a section in the Resources tab for coming out letters. Good Luck!!

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think coming out by letter is cowardly at all. Letters can be just as personal as coming out face-to-face, and you won't risk tripping over your tongue, blurting out something you don't mean, or leaving out something you wanted to say. The Coming Out Letters section of the Resources page could be helpful. Good luck!

4. lolz

how should I go about delivering it? E-Mail, or printing it off and hand delivering it to my parents saying they have to read it?

5. if i had a dime

I came out to my first person by writing a letter what I did was a handed it to her and just told her to read it later. I think its easier to write a letter vause u can think things though and not see reactions.It is not a "cowardly" thing to do if it feels the right thing for you to do then its a right!

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think printing it (or even handwriting it) and hand delivering might be a better option, it makes it that little bit more personal and serious - tons of emails fly around every day, but if you're given a physical letter, you know there's meaning behind it.

7. lolz

Thanks for all of the support guys. I hope I can change that out status in the coming days/weeks! :slight_smile:

8. if i had a dime

yay!! good luck!

9. dude99

dude99 Guest

good luck, Anyway I did and came out via text messages, email and snail mail letter. I did not have the nerve to come out face to face. However I am surprised there are those that choose to come out face to face. Anyway do what method you choose which you think is best to come out with.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a failure at coming out to my parents in a letter, but don't let it get you down :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Just do what you feel is right.