1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First and accidental coming out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Mugwump, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Mugwump

I just came out to a friend (person I babysit for), completely unplanned! I am feeling so many different things at the moment. I am excited and happy, but scared too. She is the first person I have come out to. I mean, my two best friends know, but they have known right from when I first started questioning things. This was the first real/official one. I am so frazzled right now I can't even recall most of the conversation.

It went something like this: She mentioned something about a hunch she had that I would get a boyfriend in the near future. I said "I don't think I want one". And she just looked at me and I could see things ticking in her brain. She was asking me "why? There's something you're not telling me". I eventually said something like "well I haven't told anyone yet" and she just knew. I think she said "oh my god" or something to that effect. I was like "do you know what I think you know???" We had the whole conversation without mentioning the word "gay" or anything similar. She was asking "not even your Mum?" and I said "no, I'm still in the process of working it out for myself" etc. She gave me a hug!! It was really amazing. She asked how it came about but I told her it was a long story, and didn't elaborate.

Now I am feeling strange because it felt really good, but I'm also scared/worried. Like, I keep thinking "should I have told?" etc. I feel like I should wait until I am more certain (i.e. have a girlfriend) before I tell people. Well, it's not like she's going to tell anyone so it's OK I suppose. Overall a good experience. Just... wow. Sorry for this incredible rambling! Just had to write it somewhere.

2. Pasalacqua

Aw, that's adorable.
    How old is she?

3. Mugwump

Um, I dunno... early 40s?

4. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't it feel great being honest, being who we are, not hiding, not denying, etc etc etc. Congrats!

5. Pasalacqua

Oh god wow. I misread that.
    'Babysit for' registered as 'someone I babysit.'

6. Jim1454

I think it's great. You don't need to be in a relationship to know - as far as I'm concerned. And if you're out first, then you don't have all that 'baggage' associated with introducing your new girlfriend to people.

"Hi Mom. I'm gay. I'd like you to meet my girlfriend Sarah."

Mom would likely have trouble remembering what Sarah's name was, don't you think?

7. Bryan44

Aw, thats awesome. Congrats! I know how you feel about being excited but scared too.

8. GhostDog

Aww, yay! Coming out should ALWAYS involve hugs. <3

And don't worry about not being "certain"! If you're even pretty sure, there's no reason to wait until you've been in a relationship, for the reasons Jim said. Odds are, if you've gotten to this point, you're not just gonna wake up one day and go, "OOPS! False alarm everyone, I was straight the whole time!" I was afraid that was gonna happen to me the INSTANT I came out, and so far it hasn't yet. ;P

Plus, if you end up dating a boy, if anyone gives you crap for "changing sides"? They're not worth your time. =P So honestly, go with your gut. If you're pretty sure you're gay, go with it unless life proves ya wrong!

But yay! I'm happy for you! =D

9. Today4U

That is so great! I'm really happy for you. Congratulations.(!)

10. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

congratulations! :slight_smile:

11. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do you still babysit her kid?

Something like that could had gotten you fired because some people are like that; I don't want that around my kid!! Congratulations!!

12. Mugwump

Oh nah she's fine! Very accepting person. It was actually my last babysit for a while though, cos I'll be starting full time work soon.

13. achavaelah18

14. Otsuke

Yay!!! :grin: So prouuuuud for you :slight_smile: I know what you mean. It feels gooooood :O <3<3 Take your time, don't rush ... It's a nice step ^^ ;;