1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just about out and proud

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by halfy, Aug 12, 2009.

1. halfy

hi everyone. sorry i haven't been on here in a long time. i've had internet issues and one thing and another.

anyway, i just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's ever given me advice on here and for all the help you've given me. this website was here for me at a time when i was struggling to identify and accept who i am. this site has really helped me out and is one of the best sites out there to help people accept their sexuality and to help them cope in the closet aswell as guide them out of it.

i promised myself that i would type up my coming out story when i did eventually come out, so here it is. (sorry for the long post btw).

the first person i ever came out to was my best friend curtis. he's been openly gay for years so i've always been able to go to gay bars and gay prides hiding behind him masquerading as a 'fag hag' (although i thoroughly enjoyed my time as a fag hag). he said he'd always known, but was surprised i was finally telling him.

after that i told a few more friends. the next big coming out was to my sister. i told her everything, how i'd been hiding it for over 3 years after i realised i might be bi, how i fell in love with my friend and made the mistake of telling her. she was totally fine about it and has been really supportive. she said she was just shocked at the news and was even more surprised that i'd managed to hide it from her. she's coming to gay pride with me this sunday, she also says that she's my fag hag lol. :slight_smile:

my dad hinted to me that he knew when we were talking about how in a few years time i might move out and live with someone. and he was like 'well if you get with a man/woman whatever' so a few days later i told him that i attend a gay youth group every tuesday. he said that he's not bothered and 'each to their own really, you know i'm ok with it'.

a couple of weeks later i told my mum over the phone, we had a good chat and she said she was fine with it. i've changed my info on my facebook to say interested in men and women. i've also joined quite a few gay/bi groups on facebook aswell. the only people i have left to tell really are my grandparents. i've told all my work collegues and friends aswell and everbody's fine with it.

i don't know why i spent so much time worrying about how people were gonna react. everbody i've told has been fine with me, and we've just carried on as normal. now i can go to all the gay places i want to without hiding behind my gay friends. i can also admit to fancying women aswell. i don't have to hold back anymore, i don't have to restrain my behaviour anymore or hide who i am. it's such a good feeling to be out and proud. it feels like i can breathe, because the closet was suffocating me. obviously, you have to apply coming out to whatever situation you're in, and how you think people might react; but if you think that people will be ok with it, or you can support yourself if needs be, then go for it. it's such a good feeling to not only be honest with yourself, but to be honest with everybody else aswell.

anyway, thanks for reading, and good luck to everybody on here. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

2. Thisisnew

Wow congrats thats awesome :slight_smile:

3. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    gratz thats aweumse

4. shorty

Nice one! Sounds like a relieving and happy experience. Glad everything turned out so well.

5. Prccgeek

Yay! That was happy. :slight_smile: I am so glad that you had such a positive coming out experience. I hope that if you decided to tell your grandparents, that it goes well.

6. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    wow i'm really happy for you congrats! (*hug*)

7. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Hey! I haven't spoken to you in ages! I am SO happy you've managed to come out and that things are going well for you! I am almost there myself, and it's really nice to hear that you're also in that situation.

Congratulations - and good luck! :slight_smile:

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

congrats, very proud of you.

9. dude99

dude99 Guest

congratulations

10. Starshine16

That's fantastic! I am soo happy for you.:slight_smile:

11. silentsound

That's great to hear, congratulations!

12. halfy

i know, i stopped coming on here because i didn't want my dad to see, and i had to share a laptop at the time. now i have my own laptop and i'm out and proud so it's all good. i've come such a long way in the short space of just over a year. i was so nervous and afraid to admit what i am and what other people would say. but now almost everyone knows, and this site definitely helped me come to terms with my sexuality, before i started admitting it to others.

i'm going to bicon on thursday. have you ever heard of it? it's basically a huge gathering for bisexuals and there's worshops and performances and stuff. do you get problems with biphobia? i was out as bi at pride, and nearly everyone was like 'you're not bi, you're gay in denial'

i'm a bit fed up of saying that i've already been through the denial stage and have accepted myself as a bisexual. i just wish the gay community could accept it too. oh well. there's a site called bisexual butterfly which has a campaign going to eliminate biphobia.

my mum and dad are fine with me but they have trouble understanding bisexual. unfortunatly we have a reputation for being promiscuous, which is a total myth. but my dad was saying 'how can you commit?' and my mum saw a pic of me with my arms around a lad and a lass and immediatly assumed i'd been with both, lol. i explained to my dad that it's only the same as beingg straight and fancying other people. so he understands it a bit betterr now. my mum is gonna take a lot of work though. she's not homophobic, just ignorant.

i'm glad you're almost fully out now. have you told your family yet? i'm just getting around to telling my grandparents. i think i'll try and do it before i go to bicon. i have FFLAG leaflets prepared, just in case. lol.