1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's my turn! I came out to my two best friends!!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jim1454, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Jim1454

I can hardly believe it myself... It's 2 in the morning, and I've just got home from their house, but I was so excited to tell all of you!!!

My two best friends are a couple that I went to university with - so we met 15 years ago and have been great friends ever since. They are also raising a young family, and we've all spent lots of good times together.

My separation from my wife has been really hard on them too - they viewed us both as their friends, and miss seeing us together, and visiting - as my wife and I have been really busy trying to set up our new lives...

Well the wife called my wife to talk today, and was saying again how hard it is for them to accept, and how upset they are over our separation, and came right out asked my wife if I was gay! My wife had always promised that this would be something for me to disclose to people when and if I was ready. So she denied it.

But my wife immediately called me to tell me what had happened. She was really upset and worried for me, and I was in fact relieved! Telling them would be easier if they already suspected.

So I got in my car and made the half hour trip to their house and just knocked on their door at 10pm tonight and invited myself in. We each had a drink (she wasn't going to, but I strongly suggested that she should! lol!). After an hour of chit chat - somewhat forced at times, because I think they knew why I was there, I got around to the reason for my visit... to tell them that I was indeed gay.

They were relieved that I'd shared this with them. They had been trying to figure out why my wife and I would have separated earlier this year, and this was the only reasonable explanation they could imagine... They were not at all put off by it, and were really glad that I'd been comfortable enough to share this with them. They appologized for perhaps forcing the issue by asking my wife, but wanted me to know that they were there for me if I needed to talk, or needed their help.

I'm truly blessed - to have friends and a wife that are so supportive and understanding.

So that's my story. I'm still in shock... but it really did happen. Yay! :eusa_danc

2. Sam

Sam

wow congrats Jim! I am so glad they took it well they are really good friends. I am also really glad that your wife has taken it so well (even though she has known for a while).

3. CrimsonThunder

Yeah you have great friends and wife. :slight_smile: Congrats mate.

4. LorenzG1950

Congratulations! That's a great story and you DO have an angel of a former wife. I had a similar positive experience last summer with a couple who I was really close with and it worked out splendidly. I still have a few friends that I haven't come out to but that's a matter of geography. They live in other cities or in France so it's kind of hard to meet for dinner.

As well as your story went, guess you should think about other friends who might understand your separation better if you told them you are gay.

Now your relationship with this couple can continue on an even better and more honest level. And they will help get rid of homophobia by knowing your story. That's what's so great about coming out to people you care about. I'm very happy for you and hope all goes well :eusa_clap .

5. Psych!

Psych! Guest

congrats! :thumbsup:

u r very lucky that ur wife understood ur situation.

6. TriBi

Hey - sounds like it's ALL good. :slight_smile:

Congrats!

7. K0msomolets

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well done Jim! Funny how sometimes things just work out well in the end.

8. Gera-Kun

cool. congrats!^^

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Congratulations Jim! I'm really pleased they accepted so well.

10. liszak

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's awesome, Jim, and very heart-warming! Thanks for sharing.

11. godfather

godfather Guest

wow nice one its great you have such supportive friends and wife!! really happy for you!!:icon_bigg :eusa_clap

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah Jim!!!! I'm so happy this went so well!

13. SadConfusedBandGeek

Oh! Congratz!! You have such cool friends and a GREAT ex wife!:slight_smile:

14. Psych!

Psych! Guest

definitely (&&&)

15. 24601

:grin: Wow, congrats Jim! I'm sooo happy for you! :grin:

(!)

16. c_jayo6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Awesome.......triple congrats!

17. Jim1454

Thanks everyone! This really was a milestone for me. I've read all the other 'coming out' stories here and always wondered when I would have mine. I didn't have a burning need, but at the same time didn't want to necessarily hide it from people either.

The stars kind of aligned, and my best friend, in her own way, reached out and gave me the opportunity, and I'm SO GLAD that I grabbed the opportunity and did it! I can see myself doing it again without hesitation, when the next opportunity presents itself.

I have to say though that I've got comfortable with the concept of coming out BECAUSE OF THIS SITE!!! This is SO GREAT! It has provided me the ability to talk about this with others in the same situation, and hear from others that have had great and not-so-great coming out experiences. It helped a lot to get my head around the whole idea.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! YOU'VE ALL BEEN SUCH A GREAT HELP AND SOURCE OF STRENGTH FOR ME! (&&&)

18. careandrespect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Jim1454,

I was very happy to read your story. You are certainly lucky to have people that are supportive. That can make the process so much easier. I am also glad that you shared your story for I am certain that there are individuals that have read it and it has given them the encouragement to realize that it can be done. I can say this from my own experience for this site has been so helpful for me. Thank you.

All the best,
    careandrespect

19. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    good on you. that is great.

20. phoenix17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is the best story i have heard all day congrats(!) :thumbsup: (*hug*)