1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are there reactions?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jose Carioca, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    How do people react when you come out to them?

Are they surprised? Do you get a "No duh" reaction? Do they upbraid you with the bible? What's most common?

For me, most people don't believe me and think I'm kidding.

2. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My parents knew I was serious. I approached them when I was like 14. Nervous as hell. Shaking. Could hardly talk. They knew it was legit.
    My friends knew because I was dating a guy when they found out.
    Never really had to deal with people not believing me.
    If people don't believe you its hard to make them. Just give them some time to think over it and revisit the coming out at a later time when they would have had time to think about it.

3. PJ James

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    heh oposite problem. Practicly all my friends realised it before I did. My family were still oblivious though

4. GhostDog

I have, thus far, gotten -

1. Complete surprise. As with my oldest younger brother. "What? No, seriously? Are you being serious?" "Yes." "... Why didn't you tell me before?!"
    2. Initial surprise. Apparently my best friend told an old school friend of ours, whose jaw dropped, and said, "Really? That... makes sense, actually."
    3. Complete apathy, as with my youngest younger brother. I might have told him via WoW, haha. (The purple text is our conversation.)
    4. "I hadn't really thought about it, but it doesn't really matter to me." As with my mother.
    5. "Yeah, I had kind of guessed. The not-dating-boys thing was kind of a tipoff." As with my father.

And my best friend was the one who initially approached me, after a comment talking about how hot the Vermillion Lies sisters are, asking me if I liked women. And she was all, "Hey! It's cool! You just gotta figure yourself out, you know?"

No negative reactions yet, though, nobody telling me that I must be mistaken or am a sinner doomed to eternal damnation. However, I've yet to tell my terribly, terribly evangelical extended family. I mean, my mom got in a fight with my aunt over mentioning that my mom thought my cousin was gay (c'mon, she came to thanksgiving with her "roommate", she lists "boobs, women, tits" as her LJ interests!). My aunt got way defensive, saying stuff like, "I don't care if she is! I don't want her to tell me! I don't want to know! Why are you bringing this up?" So, I am not in a hurry to tell that side of my family.

5. certified Hotti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone i told basically said " yeah i kind of had a feeling". That is including my parents. I was kind of embarrased because i really thot i was hiding it well, but apparently not :rolleyes:lol.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was almost exactly divided between "what? really? no you're not, you can't be!" and "well, yeah, that was pretty obvious", with some additional "I think I'll just keep my distance from now on" (thanks very much, friends).

7. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    My family/friends wouldn't have guessed in a million years they would have believed i could breath underwater and talk to fish before they believed i was gay and when people found out there was shock not everybody was supportive some were just down right mean but after a few weeks my family adjusted but my brothers and sister were cool right from the start

8. Alex19

usually most ppl arent suprised in the slightest. im not too obviously gay but i guess some things i do give me away. and ive only had one situation where the person i told didnt believe me. well, she asked via text and when i said yes she said that i didnt seem it and i was like, well your the first. lol

9. Gabriel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mostly I don't like coming out to people at first. Because as soon as I start talking about it, like with my parents, I wish I hadn't. It just feels too awkward. But then, discussing who I like always seems to be a little strange with them. After I tell them, we mostly just go on talking, and they add "I'm glad you told me!" and all that. Nothing to special to really add I guess :icon_bigg

10. jazzrawr

Most people go "Oh, okay. That's cool."
    Some say "Really? REALLY?! I didn't peg you for gay."
    And still others say "Well I knew that. But thanks for telling me anyways. :slight_smile:."

I haven't actually had a bad reaction yet, and the only people I haven't told are my extended family.

11. Gurds101

I have had the "coming out" chat approx. 25 times.... each time becomes a little bit more liberating :icon_bigg
    Most are excited for me, I have only gotten one surprised reaction. Everyone one in my immediate family(besides my Dad, I haven't had the talk with him...yet), said they had expected it for most of my life. lol So that made it a little bit easier.

My best experience was talking to my minister. She was actually the fist person I told for sure. She was so kind, and had such encouraging words. When I left her office I was confident enough to start telling others.

12. Pasalacqua

When most people find out, they're either like "No way! Really?" or "You don't strike me as gay."
    I don't really think my parents/family believe me, because they always ask if me and my friend [male] are dating.

13. Starshine16

The first time I told someone she was shocked.She had no clue and then she said that she should have had known because we were best friends.My online friends were surprised too but it turned out that two of them were questioning their own sexuality and the other one was bisexual which I suspected already.

14. Kirakishou

"...Really?"
    "OMG!"
    "You're kidding, right?"

15. Possibly Maybe

I always got a lot of surprise. But my favourite was when my stepbrother came out to me, and i thought he was making fun of me. I was "you're kidding!! Stop it!" he was very nervous as you can imagine, and was almost on the break of tears and kept saying "No I am not!". I came out to him too:icon_bigg :lol:

16. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Alot of reactions I got were....ok, it doesn't matter...I am happy you told me.

People have reacted very positively.

17. Greggers

Well the general consensus with my friends is "How did we not piece all the signs together over the years..."

And the general consensus with my family is "Oh crap our family must carry the Gay Gene, what did we do wrong..."

18. Apocalypte

Very few people are surprised when I tell them, apparently I give off massive dyke vibes...

Boggles me how my parents either haven't noticed or just haven't bothered asking.

19. Beachboi92

ive got the "what, are you serious?" from one brother
    "ok i dont really care" from my little brother
    my mom was surprised at first
    my dad i still dont think believes me he hasnt said a word about it since i told him and we got in an argument cause he thought it was immoral because the bible sais so even though "he loved me anyways"
    and the gay kids who learned through facebook "didn't see it coming" apparently
    and based on how the few gay people at our school flooded me with friend requests and comments im thinking they are now considering me some sort of commodity xD haha

20. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    my brother dosnt believe me i told him twice i think fooling him that vagina means chopsticks 1 year ago dosnt help the fact