1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Totally Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by AtomicCafe, Aug 28, 2009.

1. AtomicCafe

AtomicCafe Guest

I keep being an on-again, off-again poster, I know.... More of a lurker, rarely anything to add. Just totally happy about something that's happened recently and wanted to share, but most of my friends are totally uninterested in knowing! :lol:

As some of you know from other posts I've made, I got to college recently. I spent part of the summer doing some research on LGBTQ resources in college, but I didn't tell anyone outside of the people I presented to (i.e.: total strangers for the most part) what the topic was. For the first week of college, the school hosts a welcome week. It's totally gay-friendly to the tenth degree (Tucson = so incredibly gay-friendly, I love it), so one thing mentioned was a meet-up of any LGBTQ students one night to learn about what the college has.

WELL, I went (and met some awesome people!!!), I met up with my mom for lunch the next day. She asked how classes were, yadda yadda. I'm taking Gay Studies this semester (needed a diversity course anyway), and I finally told her about that. She actually seemed interested, surprisingly. (Another thing I've mentioned in my posts: I used to live with other relatives before being disowned for being gay. Hence, I've always made a strict policy to never use the g-word in the house since I'm so scared it'll happen again. It was pretty hard to even mention the class I was taking.) After that, I told her some friends "totally forced me to go to some meeting" (total lie -- I went alone, by choice, eagerly) and then recounted everything about it.

Her reaction: she starts telling me about all of her gay friends, and a story about one friend who was totally closeted but everyone knew, and how maybe I'll bump into my step-sister at the meetings from now on (she's gay, but I didn't come out then since my stepdad is a total homophobe and has banned her girlfriends from ever entering the house, hence the reason I ain't coming out to him!), and... how she used to have a girlfriend. :roflmao:

So, I felt incredibly dumb for a short while. Apparently I have stalled telling my mother for the four years I've known I'm gay, have gone through hell being disowned over and over by family and keeping the reason I keep moving a secret, just to find out she's bi. The gods of irony are smiling down upon me!!

Next step would be my sister, but I know she'd go totally berserk and try to convince me I'm straight and just confused. We're not that close anyway, so I figure, why bother? I'm happy. :slight_smile: