1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally did it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Reedmaker, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Reedmaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi EC,

I have been pretty much in lurker mode for a while now, but as always the support on this forums is incredible.

This summer I was at a music festival for 2 months, and a minor friend was my roommate. He has since become my best friend, but I evaded the truth about myself with him. He has always had a very positive attitude about homosexuality. Some background: I have never come out to a person under my own power; it has either been accidental or their doing (asking me). We have been hanging out a lot even though school has started. We are now living in separate apartments.

Tonight we watched a movie and then called it a night. I went home feeling terrible, as I have been really struggling with the new school year, and I didn't want to go into my previous ways of walking that thin, ambiguous line. I went through the entire inspirational YouTube videos thread, and typed him a coming out Facebook message. Over the course of the night I revised it, and every time I went to close it, I told myself just to wait. Finally, I worked up the courage to press Submit.

And then promptly hit Delete.

However, after some panicked Googling, it looks like that will still show up in his Inbox, and I feel SO INCREDIBLY FREE. :eusa_clap :eusa_danc I finally did it, and came out to someone on my own terms. This has been something I have wanted to do for at least 6 years, so now the school year looks amazingly bright.

Thanks for all of the help, EC. I couldn't have done it otherwise.

Reed

2. napoleonri85

napoleonri85 Guest

That's awesome - congrats! This forum has definitely been an excellent source of support and encouragement. I'm so thankful for this resource. It's inspiring to read stories from other people. I'm happy for you :slight_smile:

3. RaRa

Congrats! Let us know how he takes it! =)

4. EM68

Congrats!!

5. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations :slight_smile: Let us know how he reacts.
    I wish you all the best, Eleanor

6. Reedmaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone,

So as I expected, my friend was extraordinarily supportive. He said that he just assumed I wasn't comfortable talking about it either way, and we would get there when we wanted. I realized it was far more important for me than it was for him, and I think that is the case with most friends.

Now I need to sleep, after getting essentially none from last night's jitter-fest.

Reed

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your friend! I'm happy for you that everything worked out so well and that he is so supportive!

8. Alex19

kudos! thats awesome!

9. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea! Bring on life!