1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, my entire gym class knows now. (I think I've reached the point of no return.)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Katherine, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    So yeah. I was walking along, going laps around the track like we always do on Mondays, and this girl I don't know walks up next to me, along with two other girls I met the other day.

Random girl: Hey, do you know that guy Destin on our bus?

Me: Destin? Yeah, he's a friend of mine.

Girl: Well, he said you're a lesbian.

Me: (Wait a minute, what? Since when does he go around telling random people this? And why does she care?) Uh....

Girl (expectantly): Are you?

Me: (Well, there's really no reason to lie about it now....) Yes, I am.

Several "Seriously?"s and "Like, you're not bi? You don't like guys at ALL?"s and "Do you, y'know, have a girlfriend?"s later, I realized telling these three girls had started a wildfire.

For the rest of the class period tons of other people came up to me asking about my sexuality, most of whom I didn't even know/barely knew. I even heard a few of them whispering about me: "Hey, I heard she's gay!" "Really? How do you know?" "She told so-and-so!" "Well, is it true? Ask her!" "But that'd be, like, rude!" "No it wouldn't! Here, I'll ask!" :icon_eek:

To be honest, I felt like some sort of homosexual circus attraction. It almost seemed like none of these people had ever seen a gay person before in their life and I'd suddenly become the most interesting point in their day. It was...strange, to say the least, and I don't know exactly what to make of it. I'm proud, embarassed, and slightly amused all at the same time. :eusa_shif :rolleyes:

All I'm really sure about now is that if word can travel that fast thanks to Destin telling one person, I'm kind of nervous about who's going to find out next. With so many people knowing, it's only a matter of time before more people know, too. I think this interesting little spectacle has marked the official point of no return in my coming-out process, and I don't know whether to be proud or terrified.

So. That was my day. Jeez, I need a nap. :sleep:

2. napoleonri85

napoleonri85 Guest

Re: Well, my entire gym class knows now. (I think I've reached the point of no return

Congrats :slight_smile: I know this wasn't part of your plan, but at least it's off your chest now

3. Re: Well, my entire gym class knows now. (I think I've reached the point of no return

Interesting. Good news travels fast, I guess!

I hope everything turns out well! I bet none of them will even care :slight_smile:

4. endless poetry

Re: Well, my entire gym class knows now. (I think I've reached the point of no return

Have faith in yourself and you can make it through.

Show them all that you can live your life gay or not. Straight or not... go on with who you are and it may not be what you had anticipated, but make it work out for the best.

5. Neoh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Maybe they really hadn't ever seen a gay person before?! (!)

from what it sounds like you've really got nothing to worry about, because from the way I read it it sounds it will be the buzz of the week and then everything will be back to normal. Maybe even get to know some other people better from it :eusa_danc.

My $ is on proud

6. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Yuk. Too much talky talky talky. Good job being who you are. you'll be glad you did, er, are!

7. Jim1454

Well that's now overwith. Good on you!

8. Eleanor Rigby

Be proud !
    There will always be stupid people who won't like you because of your sexuality, but you have nothing to do with that kind of narrow minded people anyway.
    (*hug*) Eleanor

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

most teens have the tact of a wrecking ball, but be glad you are out. Be proud. Never be ashmed. And never let 'em see you cry.

10. jazzrawr

Something like this happened to me too!
    It all turned out great for me. Nobody cares, it was just an interesting blip in their day and is now a norm. XD
    Congrats on your coming out! Even if it was unintentional. XD

11. melissalouise

Out Status:
    A few people

Well I guess the hard part is over. At least they got it out all in one go. Hopefully they will be bored in a couple of days and get excited over a car crash or the new Brad Pitt film?

12. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

They will get over it.

13. TriBi

If you act like it is 'no big deal' - they will likely respond the same way.

If you act like it is a major drama - it will likely turn out that way.

Power to you!

14. Deb420

Deb420 Guest

That's awesome. No one in my dorm asks me anything, sometime I wish they did. I'd like to correct some hideous rumors that infect the straight community. I'd rather people bombard me with questions then make up random lies behind my back. Sometimes I feel like I should just go into all of their rooms and be like: "I'm a lesbian... I wont hit on you and I wont stare at you awkwardly. I do shave my legs and I don't take testosterone. I don't think I'm a man and I don't wish I had a penis. I don't wear plaid and I don't cut the sleeves off of all my shirts. If I walk into you it's simply because I'm clumsy, not because I want to touch you. I do play sports but I don't have freakish upper body strength. Family Guy isn't a documentary, you shouldn't trust all the stereotypes you see on it... Any questions??"

15. Bradley James

Family Guy isn't a documentary... so, lemme get this straight.... there's no such thing as a wild firetruck?

Yes, I too wish I could set some of the rumours about gays and gay relationships straight. I have corrected any misconceptions my friends have had, but I've been lucky because most don't care about my orientation and just consider a gay relationship to be identical to a straight relationship.

16. Gaydar

Out Status:
    Not out at all

Congrats! And although it might not have happened the way you planned, I'm sure it'll all turn out fine.

As far as whether to be proud or terrified, terror is only natural in the beginning, but be PROUD, too! After going through that experience, you've definitely earned it!

17. Charme

Charme Guest

Gratz on your coming out! Totally sounds like mine when random ppl just start asking whether you like this or that. But it gets better cuz in the end, no one really gives a crap. Oh sure you'll be the center of attention for a few days but it'll pass. Well I hope it does for you :slight_smile:

Be proud! It takes a lot of guts to say you're gay!

I hope you haven't heard any insults yet ;p Oh and don't forget, coming out also brings with it more gay jokes. Have fun! <3