1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out and about... or maybe not...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by cicciux, Sep 1, 2009.

1. cicciux

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well... this is a case of self delusion or hypocrisy on my part... perhaps a little bit of both.

So, in 2004 I came out to myself (namely labeled myself as gay and decided to come out). In 2005 I turned 19 and started to come out to my friends and family, by the end of the year everyone in my closest circle knew. I updated my facebook and orkut profiles to reflect this.

In 2006 I started working and after a few months we started adding each other to facebook and orkut with my coworkers. We had become very friendly, so it was ok. After a few months (we used to go out all together once a month) they started asking questions like what role I had and stuff (that was my way of knowing they'd accepted me).

So. I was officially out. Everyone in my life knew.

Eventually I moved to Buenos Aires (I lived in Asuncion). So, new city, new life.

I have several groups in my life now... my closest friends, who know me from a long time ago and know I'm gay. My self-awareness group (I'll describe this group another time) who also know I'm gay. And then the three other groups... Classmates, Coworkers and RPG mates.

RPG mates are actually friends, we get together almost every week and play D&D. They don't know I'm gay... at least not officially. Some of them have me in facebook, and should know... but act as if the don't (so I can assume either way).

Coworkers, don't have me in facebook nor any other social network. Some of them I really don't trust or like, some of them I consider friendly coworkers and share my lunches with them.

Classmates, I only started this semester and haven't gotten really close with any of them... but somehow I feel I'll be at a disadvantage if I came out...

so, basically, I'm back in the closet and it feels like crap...

I think i'm past the 'ZOMG I've something to tell you! I'm GAY!' it's just "not cool" or maybe not... so I'm actually looking for ideas on how to hint it to people...

as a side note, most of the people I'm talking about are between 5 and 20 years older than me... so..

2. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Funny how it becomes less and less of an issue as time passes and we get on with life and its other challenges. Good luck. Just be you, and you don't need to tell anyone to prove to yourself you can. been there, done that. Now it seems its just determining if its personal info you want to share for one reason or another. Cheers.

3. Jim1454

It's difficult if you think you'll be disadvantaged by coming out. But I'd also just say keep being yourself. You don't need to announce to people that you're gay, but you don't need to filter what you say either. If you were out on a date and want to talk about it, do so.