1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out through sculpture?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by marri, Sep 7, 2009.

1. marri

one sculpture class out of two this semester, requires that we make a self portrait using sheet metal, and I was thinking of my head, loosly based on my real head, imitating some features like my hair, and incorperating my love for singing and on and on

and the way ill have it done is, I will have my head open, with ... are you ready? a vagina inside... I wish I could explain it better, this is sort of vague but its all on paper

also, I want to have both definitions of the word ''queer'' on a label on the base of the sculpture, with both definitions, 1: strage, odd 2:homosexual!

I don't know if this is risky.. at first I was really excited, but now I am starting to get cold feet

also, im thinking of making the vagina removable, and making something else representational of something or other, so that if I am really proud, I could show it to my parents (just take out the vag and the label)

I'm nervous now
    thats a big coming out to every one in my year.. including all my teachers....

I would leave out the label, but then people would'nt understand

eep, if it turns out, I'll post pictures so you can all see :slight_smile: that should be in about 4 weeks

2. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

That's Genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Well, think about it. Aren't there statistics that show that the thing people think about most is sex? Couldn't that work on both ways? If you don't wanna come out it's "Sex on the mind", if you are going to come out it can be "I'm a proud lesbian". Now, I see you're 18 so high school isn't the most LIBERAL THINKING arena in one's life, so THINK LONG AND HARD before you start! But if you were to do it as a personal home project I bet it'd look fantastic! I am doing something similar. I too am an artist and I sculpt but I am more of a painter and sketcher. My greatest work (in my opinion) is the painting I am currently doing of me kinda saying "Look at me, I am a sexual young man who likes dudes too!". LOL! But to the untrained eye it looks like an erotic piece of art and my family (oblivious to my preference for dudes as well as chicks) think is my best work! So do this proposed work if you wish as a personal project for home and make it your Magnum Opus. But, you're more brave than me so I mean this from the bottom of my heart...from one fellow artist to another, I APPLAUD YOU AND SUPPORT YOU AND I THINK WHAT YOU'RE PROPOSING IS GENIUS, UTTER GENIUS!!!!!! But always remember, art is and thank God always will be CONTROVERSIAL! :slight_smile: :kiss: :eusa_clap (!) :thumbsup: :eusa_danc (*hug*) :lol:

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would definitely be one of the most original coming-outs I've ever heard of! If you feel you can pull it off (and the atmosphere would be conductive for it. Art teachers can vary wildly in what they like or don't like in art, and it's not worth losing marks over) I'd say go for it!

The label might be spelling it out too much, though. I like some mystery in art as well...

And it would be best to get the plan B worked out in advance. If for some reason you get cold feet or can't go through with it, it would be nice to have a last-minute replacement.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will say that the next time somebody wants me to help name their band, I'm totally going to suggest "Coming Out Through Sculpture".

Lex

6. Shimmi

Shimmi Guest

That sounds FANATASTIC!!!! Just be prepare for the postive and negative reactions. I like the idea of the removable piece. GOOD LUCK!

7. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I think it's an awesome idea

8. punkrocker99

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hahahaha I Love It!!!!!! Xd Totally Do It!!!!!!!!!

9. jayhad90

jayhad90 Guest

WOW! that is a great way to express yourself through art and that is the first time i have ever heard of something like that and if you do it that would be awesome I would love to see it and even if you dont that is an amazing idea. I dont think i could actually do something like that though.

10. shimmersky

I'd do it without the label.

And I probably wouldn't make the top removable.

11. shimmersky

Oh, I forgot to add, though-- you are awesome and I love your idea!

Sorry, I just realized that my enthusiasm didn't come through at all in my first post.

12. marri

thank you guys for all of your thoughts, I struggled a lot trying to explain my idea to my teacher, teehee, but he got it eventually

so far I have made a maquette (practice sculpture, in this case made out of paper) and my idea has come one hell of a long way, and its changed, and I have gone back and forth with the vagina structure, part *giggle* but there WILL be a vagina and I WILL post updates and pictures

wish me a lot of luck :grin:

rar

btw: I did get rid of the label