1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Bradley James, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Bradley James

Figured I'd tell my tale of how I came out...

First I came out to my mother, by stating simply that I was bi. She was cool with it, didn't care (it helped that she was having marital problems and trouble with my sister, so my orientation was the least of her concerns). I'd been chatting with this guy on MSN who lived in America and fell in love with him.

I didn't mean to come out to my dad, but one day my boyfriend rang and we both answered the phone... but since I spoke first, dad stayed on the other end and listened in (quite the eaves-dropper he is). Obviously I did not know this otherwise I would have booted him off.

Anyway, we were talking, flirting and what not, and my bright spark dad (still eavesdropping) put 2 and 2 together... and being very freaked out, cut the line and tried acting normal for the next few hours. It wasn't until mum came home from work and they spoke that it was finally confirmed.

He was alright over it.... he had been convinced I was gay to begin with because of my fluency, mannerism and whatnot (I am not a manly man), so it was actually surprising to him that I liked girls at all...

After that, I came out to my friends and one of my aunts. My grandmother wasn't the most open-minded (she had nothing against gays, but swore she would disown any in HER family... this was before my sister came out), and now she's gone so I don't have to worry about being disowned; and my other aunt is a bit... odd, about that sort of thing, so she doesn't know either, but I think she suspects.

Aside from that, everyone knows...

2. Jim1454

Very cool. Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.

3. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing your story. Well done for coming out, your dad's reaction was quite funny.

4. Eleanor Rigby

Thanks for sharing and congratulations :slight_smile:

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your friends and parents!

6. pianolover95

Ohhh I hate when people eavesdrop. That's great he was alright about it though. Thanks for posting that.

7. napoleonri85

napoleonri85 Guest

Congrats :slight_smile: Glad to hear your father was fine with it