1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found the strength to tell my Family last night!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by napoleonri85, Sep 10, 2009.

1. napoleonri85

napoleonri85 Guest

*Sorry if this is rough....I'm typing it as fast as I can before I have to leave for work*

So I've been pretty much freaking out for the past three weeks dreading to break the news of my sexuality to my family. It was to the point where I was so sick that I had lost my appetite and anything I did eat, I could hardly keep down. Today was my boiling point - the truth needed to come out.

I was originally going to tell my mom on Monday - it felt right. We were out doing errands together and were getting along quite well. Unfortunately, she reminded me that she had a stress test for her heart in the morning (I was like wtf? lol). So I decided to hold off and not stress her out haha.

So anyways, yesterday I almost threw up three times just thinking about telling her. "This is no way to live", I thought. She knows I haven't been feeling well and has been bugging me to go to the doctor's office to get it checked out. So last night, she kept insisting that I go. Finally, I turned to her and said "Mom, the doctor's can't help me...I know why I've been feeling sick. I've been stressing out over the past few weeks because there is something I have to tell you. Please don't freak out....(moment of silence)....I'm gay."

Knowing my mom, I thought she was going to go hysterical lol. She was shocked.....but surprisingly happy for me. She kept saying "That's fine, I just want you to be happy." Of course her first thought was AIDS, but I reminded her that I was a sfae and selective person....I'm not just going to go around with every guy I meet lol. That was awkward, but it's the truth and she needed to know. I don't want her worrying about me.

However, she did force me to tell my brother because she didn't want us to hide anything from him. I agreed. I always imagined that he would be pissed and our relationship would be strained by the news, but he was cool about it. His response: "Oh...ok...that's cool. Are we still going to the gym on Saturday?" lol. So I'm pretty happy with that. I'm glad we can still go forward with our friendship :slight_smile:

So anyways, it's all good on this end. I woke up this morning and I feel the best I have in years! Phew! Okay, I gotta run....I'm late for work now lol. :smilewave

2. EM68

Congrats! That is how I felt before I came out to my family. I was so stressed it went away when I came out to them. Good job... I am glad your mom and brother took it well.

3. Bradley James

Glad it worked out for you! Every story should finish as good.

4. Jim1454

Yay! That's awesome! Congrats.

5. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations :slight_smile: I'm happy everything turned well for you

6. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    well done,your brother sounds just like mine,i came out the night before you but instead of the gym it was just"i dont care,can you babysit tommorow night".Pleased to say everything seemed normal last night.

7. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, I'm glad it all worked out

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! That's awesome! :slight_smile:

9. 71390S

71390S Guest

That's wonderful!! what a nice experience.

10. napoleonri85

napoleonri85 Guest

Thanks everyone (&&&) I felt like a whole new person today - it's surreal.

It's actually funny because my mom said she was a lot more upset over the fact that I'e been thinking of moving out with my friend :lol: I've been stressing out these past few weeks for nothing ay ay ay

11. jblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats! Glad to hear it went so well for you!

12. werekid

good job on telling your mom and brother

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations....I'm glad the stress of all this can finally be gone! Be sure and tell your mom about PFLAG. We need more advocates for equality!