1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in an ignorant religious family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by torrentluver, Sep 14, 2009.

1. torrentluver

So I've been out pretty much everywhere except in my family life. I love being out at work and with friends because I am so much happier and I can really be myself and not pretend to be someone else. I highly recommend this to everyone. That doesnt mean that theres setbacks. I came out right after I graduated from highschool since I knew that there would be drama if I did it during highschool. Anyways, after I came out I lost alot of the "friends" that are more like people that are around because they dont have a better offer to be around at the time. Anyways my true friends stuck by me and now life is sooo much more fun and Ive been much happier. At work everyone knows and we all get along and we just joke around and have fun.
    So I came out to my parents the other day and the pretty much reacted exactly how I thought they would. My mom didnt understand it and started crying, and my dad was an ignorant ass hole that says that I've conditioned myself to think Im gay and that its a choice.
    Im glad I came out because now I really know how "loving" my family really is. Its funny how my family is LDS and all high and mighty and rightous, and yet they are so judgemental and hatefull. I argued with my dad yesterday morning for an hour and got no where. My dad told my mom and I confirmed it with her a little later and she just said she doesnt understand it because god doesnt make people like that.
    After all that I left and went to my friends house and we hung out during the day. Then my parents texted me saying I need to come home since grandma is coming to visit and she wanted to see the family, which was a big fat lie just to get me to come back home. So I then went home and pretty much was just judged and mocked for the next 2.5 hours.
    My dad is soooo ignorant I cant even begin to describe it. He googled something like "the disadvantages of being gay" or "hiv and being gay" which obviously brought up sites that were created by those that are against homosexuals and posted blogs and stories about gays which obviously arent true since there were no references sited. Obviously my dad thinks that everything he reads on the internet is true, what a dumbass.
    So I sat down and he plopped some papers in front of me saying that like 46 percent of homosexuals have AIDS and that homosexuals that have childeren end up molesting them. I just got pissed and threw the papers down and said this is a joke and none of this has credible references. He just laughed at me and says "well this guy has a PHD". I asked him how he knew that and he said because the website said so.... so if I go on a website and say I have a masters degree that makes it so? Im afraid not ya freakin moron.
    Then he tells me that Im a liability to the family because now they might get AIDS from me because I touch things around the house. I told him that first of all you contract HIV which leads to AIDS and theres a difference. Then I told him that its contracted either sexually, directly, or indirectly through body fluids such as semen, blood, breast milk, and not from sweat or spit or anything like that. Also I told him that it doesnt just enter the skin, it has to be either through a membrane or a cut in the skin and there also has to be a sufficient amount of the virus to cause an infection. He laughed at me, rolled his eyes, and said "well you just know everything dont you? I used to be 19 once and I knew everything then too". I told him to quit treating me like an idiot because Ive read book after book on STD's and how the homosexual population is affected by them so I have a pretty good background on the subject, much better than the information he aquired in the whole 10 minutes he spent on freaking GOOGLE and now he thinks hes an expert... Well then why are colleges still in business? I mean I could get my PHD in psychology by googling the subject and know everything about it in the next 10 minutes according to my ignorant dad.
    Anywho, then he goes on to say that all guys have these feelings and I just didnt deal with them the right way, and that I could choose to be with a woman if I wanted to. I told him fine, theres three options: I can either be gay and happy the rest of my life with a man that I love, I can be celibate and single and lonely the rest of my life, or I can force myself to marry a woman and be unhappy and have no sexual life. He just rolled his eyes and laughed at me again.
    Then religion was brought up again and again, and I told him Im agnostic and I have a right to worship whatever I see fit, as do they. I then told him its my right to not have someone elses beliefs pushed on me if I dont want anything to do with it. So .... this is the funny part.... He says Im ungratefull because the mormons came to america to be able to worship freely...... Seriously this guy is a moron. I told him its the PILGRIMS that came to america, and not to mention that the LDS religion wasnt even in existance at that time. He said that the freedom of religion means the freedom to be LDS. I said nooo, it means that everyone has the freedom to have their own beliefs and worship whichever relgion they choose.
    So for the next 2 hours it pretty much was the same stuff said over, repeated and we got no where. I even offered to pretend I was straight when I was home if it would get him off my case. He said that hes not going to "give up" untill I go get "help".
    As a side note, my father has been unemployed for almost 2 years and hasnt bothered to go out and look for a new job, he just sits at home on the computer and chats on Duck Hunting forums... seriously hes pathetic. A couple months ago he borrowed 12k from my grandparents because he is so far behind on debt that the house was going to be foreclosed. My mother works full time to try and pay the bills, and my dad seriously provides nothing. Today I paid $200 for two months of the water bill for my mom to keep the water from being shut off.
    Also I should probably add that my mom's side of the family doesnt like my dad at all, they actually got in a huge fight about a month ago and my dad would walk around the house complaining and saying he wishes her family were dead. I know that if I love someone I would neeever wish that they were dead, and he now says he loves them and how family is so important and I dont have values... like he has room to talk.
    Over the last couple months I finally managed to pay off all my debts and Ive been saving so I can pay for college in the spring, and Ive been studying my butt off for the ACT that I applied for at the end of october. And I have a successfull job, and I have a wonderfull boyfriend that I truly love and Im happy in life. So overall I think Im blessed and Im happy with who I am and I think Im a good person. When I said that to my dad he just laughed at me and said Im headed down a dark road and Im going to end up in a coffin, and that Im not a good person. Hes compared me to a pedophile, necrophiliac, child molester, murderer, and satan; all because Im gay. And he said repeatedly "Im not going to accept that you're gay".
    Now Im home from work sitting downstairs typing this and my dad just brought my grandparents over, which never happens. So Im guessing that hes going to tell me I have to come upstairs pretty soon and tell them how horrible of a person he thinks I am. All of my clothes are packed up so Im just ready to put them in my car if he does anything stupid :slight_smile:

And as for some good news, this coming february my boyfriend will be coming back from tech school in the air force and we will be getting an apartment together and a puppy :slight_smile: He has been gone for about three months now and theres still about four months left before he returns. I do get to go visit him at the end of october, which is the only thing Im looking forward too.

Ill post again when more happens. And Ill definately post the good news about the good times when I get to visit my bf and when he gets back :slight_smile: THANKS GUYS YOURE AWESOME!!!:icon_wink

2. endless poetry

(*hug*)

no matter how they try to kill it,
    love will survive.

3. shimmersky

I am having trouble articulating the powerful emotional response that your story evoked, so I will just say,

I am so very deeply sorry that you have to live in that hateful, hurtful environment.
    And I am so very deeply happy that you have a loving boyfriend who you will get to move in with soon.
    I hope that your life is wonderful and beautiful, and that someday, (if you want to), you will be able to raise children of your own-- and these will be raised learning about love instead of hate.
    I admire your strength and courage and patience and intelligence and confidence. You inspire me to face my own fears; especially the ones that I already know will be difficult.

Thank you.

4. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, first off. Congrats for attempting to move forward! Secondly, all Christians (well, most of them) claim to be Christians and yet judge you for being Gay. I know I just experienced this with a lady at church who tried to "help" me. I post anything referring to gay people on facebook and she goes, you know this is wrong, god doesn't like this, bla bla bla. Sure, I'm not experienced in the bible like I should be, because I do go by the bible for the most part. There is just so much stuff in there that is hard to understand with today's world.

Another thing. You're dad is just a dumbass. sorry. This is how my dad would react if i decided to tell him. My mom would just cry saying she doesn't understand and bla bla bla. However, i believe she would be accepting. There is only 1 other gay person in my family other than me. It's hard to be who i am because of that, but I know once i let them know, I will be okay I think.

Congrats on having a great boyfriend and being able to move in with him soon! If youe ver want to talk feel free to pm me. I'm in the same exact situation as you are with this.

Goodluck

5. torrentluver

you guys are awesome, and quick at responding haha. I just dont understand why my parents cant just be happy that Im trying to be a good person and go somewhere in life and love someone unconditionally. Im sure my mom will come around, but if anyone in my family other than her doesnt want anything to do with me then Im ready to cut them out of my life and create a whole new life with someone that will make me happy and hopefully Ill make him just as happy. He really is the best guy Ive ever met and Ive never been so happy, I wish you could all have what I have because its pretty much endless happyness and love.

6. Gaetan

My mother was once Mormon, even I was raised until about 12 in the church. Then, we simply...stopped going.

I think part of it is the fact my mother's brother is gay. It took her a long time to come to terms with that. She's never said it, but I'm certain it was a major role in her losing her faith with the LDS church. Now, she's very accepting of him--and no longer subscribes to the LDS church.

They'll probably knock it as satanic propaganda, but you might point your parents to postmormon.org. That site helped my mom come to terms with a lot of her issues with the church, and, frankly, to see where its falsehoods are.

7. Jim1454

I'm sorry that you don't have more supportive parents. Unfortunately not all of them are.

I should take that back. Your dad is doing the best he can. If he didn't care about you, he'd have shrugged and said "ok - whatever". But he didn't. He has reacted quite passionately to your news. He's just misinformed, and has been his whole life. It's not easy to reprogram someone who has held certain beliefs their whole life. Sometimes it's impossible. But that doesn't mean he doesn't love you or care. He's just not very effective. Try to remember that.

YOU know that God DID make you this way - I'm convinced of that for me. I have no doubts. And YOU know that you're happy being with your boyfriend, and enjoying your friends at work. And I'm sure you'll also make good friends in college when you go. So, it could mean that you're going to have to cut your dad out of your life. That should be a last resort, but it sounds like it will be more of a loss to him than to you. You don't need that kind or poisonous attitude around.

Good luck - and stick around here. We know what you're going through.

8. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dude! You ROCK something Awesome! Seriously, tho, you must be nuts. Really. Is it really possible for you to be raised in such an insane environement and retain a grip on reality? JK. You seem so well grounded. Good luck, and if your folks have a scintilla of love in their hearts (and I believe they must, as most parents do), in time (prolly lots of it) the love will overcome their prejudice and unthinking responses to you. That, is the mission of gay ppl everywhere. To open the hears and minds of our brothers and sisters to the meaning of love.

Good luck, and if you need an escape route be sure to pass word along.

9. torrentluver

I have you guys to thank for my sanity haha. I looked at the postmormon site for a little while and everything that is posted on those forums is as logical as it can get. Maybe I will just leave the link on a Post-It note on my dads computer before I go to work :slight_smile: Although, Im almost possitive that all it will do is just piss him off and turn it around on me somehow. Meh oh well.
    Today has actually been decent. I was originally supposed to wake up at 7:20 to go to a meeting I had at 8:15 this morning, but my dad decided it was more important that I listen to another lecture than be on time to a meeting with management... seriously I cannot stand people that are so ignorant and selfish. Anywho at least he wasnt yelling this time, but he still was saying the same things when we were yelling the other night. He still told me the exact same things as the other night: Im a pervert, its all in my head and its a choice, hes not accepting it, Im going no where in life if I "continue this path", satan has a hold of me, and Im like this because I didnt talk to him about my sex life growing up. I asked him "so even though plenty of doctors with PhD's havent been able to find a definate cause or even a 'cure' with actual evidence of working, you have figured out the cause and the cure?". Bravo idiot...
    But I came home tonight and not any drama really, so I unpacked my things since I guess I'll be staying at home.... for now untill my baby comes back and we move in together :slight_smile:

OH AND GREAT NEWS!!! While my boyfriend and I were talking a little while ago he mentioned how Im pretty much his husband. I told him how that made me so happy, and I really hope one day I will be his husband. And guess what he said? :slight_smile: He said "Dont worry baby, you will be." ISNT THAT JUST SO PRECIOUS GUYS!!!! Anywho, I'll stop being all mooshy gooshy haha. Im off to bed guys, NIGHT!

10. Gaetan

Congratulations! Hope things continue to go better.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only say yay ^_^ Because you sound like you have everything ready. I really must say good luck, and I hope everything goes your way :grin:

12. werekid

i am glad you get to see your bf just think if you are 18 you can move out of that house and never speak to them again

13. torrentluver

Well I woke up early this morning to my dad coming down to my room and "sharing his wisdom and knowledge"... Just like yesterday. He said he "needs advice". So I said to move on with your life, get over it, and quit treating me like its a choice or a bad person, and also its nobodys business but my own. Then he says he not going to accept that advice. So wtf did he want me to say? Then he said the same stuff as yesterday and the day before: I'm not gonna be happy, I'm going to go nowhere in life, ill miss out on things in live, I'm going to get AIDS and die, and all that stupid stereotypical b.s. I even told him, again, that just because I'm gay doesn't mean I'm going to get aids. If I was a slut and slept around then the chances are there, but not when I'm in a monogomous relationship. Then he said that getting tested for std's is wrong and its dumb cuz I have to worry about that cuz I'm gay. Seriously... Straight people get tested too. Its called being safe, I told him that all sexually active individuals that are not in a long term monogomous relationship are advised to get tested just to be safe, so it has nothing to do with being gay. Then he says "well what are you going to do when you find out you hav aids?". I just got tired of arguing with someone so close minded and ignorant and told him I'm already late for work AGAIN because he felt like he had to argue with me before I had to go to work. So he stomped up the stairs all pissed off like I'm a bad person because I value having a job and don't want to argue because I don't like drama in my life. Seriously I'm going to go insane from dealing with his ignorant religious tiny brain.
    Then to add to it, my mom sends me a text saying sorry and she loves me. I said its ok and I love her too. Then she texts me asking if I would like to get help if its treatable. I texted back and said I'm done discussing the "issue", and not to bring it up again. Uhg my patience is gone

14. Gaetan

I'm sure they'll come around eventually. It might take a year or two, but they'll come around. Just keep reminding them that you're still their son, and that nothing has really changed.

15. Jay D

I am so happy for you!!!! Your parents are a bit dumbass but oh well, all parents are. Mine were the same, but you've gotten through it and I am so happy for you and your bf!

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm so sorry your parents reacted the way they did. Does your Dad know Marie Osmond has a lesbian daughter and loves and accepts her just the way she is? There is also a gay Mormon group called Affirmation that have been through all kinds of stuff with people. We had them come speak at my PFLAG chapter. They were great!

You could try a couple things with your Dad. First just ignore his shit and that's what it is...SHIT! lol Or...........say "Dad, I can see you want to be informed. How about looking at some educational information from PFLAG a parent group that supports parents of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender kids and their families and friends." If he refuses then just let him drown in his own ignorance, misinformation, and FEAR!" You be happy with your boyfriend! If your mom wants to talk to another parent with a gay child, you can PM me for my e-mail. I would be happy to talk to her.

17. Pvand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're a very strong person. It sounds like you're smart enough to deal with this ignorance. Don't listen to your dad, to me it sounds like you're gonna go places and make something of your life. It's his loss if he refuses to look through anothers eyes. He'll be forever stuck in his little universe. It'll get lonely.

18. olides84

I also very much admire your determination and wish you continued strength in dealing with your parents. One suggestion though--while your dad seems like a lost cause for now, don't close things off with your mom. She seems to be the less stridently ignorant and is repeating her love for you. You seem to communicate maturely, so maybe try to talk with her some more. I'm wondering, do they know about your bf?

19. Glunn11

You are incredibly strong. I would be going off the deep end if it got to this point. But, I'm glad you realize how incredibly closed-minded your family is being.
    I don't have much advice, but I do know how scary it is living in an LDS area and being gay. I live in one of the highest LDS-concentration counties in Idaho, but thankfully I have a lesbian aunt that my family has all grown to love, even if they don't necessarily agree with her "lifestyle."

Things are definitely tense for you. I hope you can get on with your life as soon as possible. Keep on trooping! :slight_smile:

20. Calli

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    you have an incredible self-confidence and courage and I realy admire you for that. I'm deeply sorry about your dad behavior. don't give up and stay strong because your the one that got it right. I hope your mom start to accept you because your really deserve it.

For the rest your story with your boyfriend is really great and I hope you'll live happily ever after even if it's a bit cheesy.

take care of yourself and good luck with your family.