1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by revolutionrock, Sep 18, 2009.

1. revolutionrock

So I've come out to three of my close friends in the span of a week. College is so freeing! I am so astounded. They're all amazing and supportive and all that, and I couldn't be happier. :grin: I've got tentative plans to tell the fam when I visit in a couple of weeks, but we'll see.

So exciting! Anyone trying to decide whether to come out in college (those who are starting around now) - do it. The time is right. :slight_smile:

2. werekid

cool i can not wait for college

3. Jim1454

Congratulations! I'm glad you're making the most of this new stage of your life.

4. Lizz K

Ohhh yeah I'm out to everyone at college and it's awesome!

5. Totoro

Congratz! Bleh i can't wait until i get there... Well not so much anymore, but I was planning on doing the same thing >< It's such a perfect timing too...

6. readyforchange

Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations! I'm in the process of coming out to all of my college friends as well. It's so liberating.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations! I hope it goes well for your parents also.

8. Bradley James

Supportive... hmmm... I wonder why people often use that in conjunction with stories of coming out... is it really something we need 'support' with? We're feel the same things as 'straight' people, it just so happens to be with someone of the same gender as we are.

Why do we need 'support'? Gayness is not- contrary to what the Catholic Church would have us believe- a sickness. In fact, I wouldn't label it as anything at all, because that would imply that is a separate entity to the norm... once we begin defining something, we segregate it from the rest.

Do straight- if I can use that technical term- people need 'support' for their 'affliction'?

9. Gaetan

I think it's people are saying support because it's more they don't want the opposite to happen. Much worse, and more "substantiated", for a parent or friend to not support. It's not that you're looking for support, you're looking to not be not supported.

10. Astaroth

We say support because there is a very real possibility that we won't be accepted or, in fact, will be rejected by others. There are people out there who were rejected by their biological family because of this small aspect of their life, but those friends who stuck by them have become their new family, and it was that support and safety net that is left when everyone else fell away.

I think we also need support because it's the simple act of standing up against adversity in general where you have to take a stand against that group in some way (not to mention that it is an intrinsic part of you), the natural tendency is to seek support from allies as a natural response to threat. I guess it just boils down to being an instinct straight from nature itself. You seek out others as backup in case things go bad and as a friendship when things are good.

11. Bryan

I just started college and come out to everyone here. It is awesome that no one cares. I actually have a giant pride flag hanging in my dorm room :grin:

12. revolutionrock

Right on, dude. It is so awesome that nobody cares. Almost anticlimactic, I'd say.

13. Fiorino

I've come out to pretty much everyone I've met here, and after the first two weeks I told my room mates, they kind of already guessed. They were very cool with it. I also told some of the guys on the floor, it's cool to be accepted and be myself. :slight_smile:
    I have so many people who have my back.

14. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great job. VA is a great place for college.

15. John Williams

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congrats. I never had the guts to come out to my friends in college. Your life is on the right track.

16. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! Glad that your coming out to your close friends has been such a positive experience! :slight_smile:

17. string3343

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats!! I am hoping for the same thing when I go to college. Only 2 more years!!!!