1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NYT Preview: Coming Out in Middle School

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by KaraBulut, Sep 23, 2009.

1. KaraBulut

2. Greggers

Reading it now, but this quote stood out to me and reminded me why i still stick around the site after coming out.

Thats us. We are the ones doing that. :slight_smile:

3. Greggers

Im still reading (long article :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and thought id also share this one that made me chuckle inside.

4. Emberstone

I agree. it is a good article.

I suspected around 11 myself, but didnt come out till I was 25 (and I am still not fully out...I have a foot and part of my calve out I guess)

5. kramer362

Now I'm just pissed at myself for wasting so much time when there's 12 year olds braver than I am :icon_sad:

6. Gaetan

I'm also still reading, but it was also around 12 when I first started having feelings. It took me a year or two to draw the line to gay, and then literally decade to stop being in denial about it. (23 now.)

I imagine that if I were to be that age, now, it would be a very different story.

7. Gaetan

Done! Great article, I think I'm going to have to pass it on to some friends of mine.

:lol: That cracked me up...granted, I don't know which groups sponsored the bill, but if it was the ultra conservative ones...awesome.

8. shorty

Brought a smile to my face.

9. Corny

Corny Guest

Don't be sad .. as the article illustrates - times were different when you were 12 then. And now you are probably still with the same peers with back from them. And that's what unfortunately most coming out problems are about - and also the reason why so many people come out in college when they just changed almost all of their surroundings.

10. mattyrusso

I read this article earlier and thought it was crazy cool. Not gonna lie, I'm wicked jealous of alot of these kids but happy for them :lol:

11. Paragon

Paragon Guest

i Started to figure it out when I was about 10, but damn theyre brave kids, but to be fair there is much more support for them in america

12. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

yeah definitely! my schools pretty accepting but i still have only told about 11 people and i started having same-sex attractions when i was 13. and then *about* a year later and im ok with being bi. and i totally agree with greggers: we are the ones doing this. this is us. this is what were all about :slight_smile:

13. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I'll jump on that bandwagon with you.

14. acorn7

I loved the article. I think it's great they highlighted kids from tougher places to be gay like Oklahoma (at least it seems on the outside). Great story, lots of amazing people mentionned.

15. joss22

Great article. I totally was unsure of myself at the early age that these kids came out, but the situation seems different for them than even myself, and I live in a very liberal Massachusetts town. I mean, even in my high school there is no one that is out of the closet, even though there are definitely more gay people than just me.

16. ChopinFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that certainly lifted my spirits! Still jealous though. I haven't even met an openly gay person yet, much less dated one.

DamN! I wish I went to that school. Woof!

17. DexterMorgan

Wow, these kids have cojones!

18. Capichino

Holly that's longgggg but AWSOME I only read the first page lol I'm austin

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2012 at 10:32 AM ----------

Not the same person

19. dairyuu

I actually read that article about a year ago. I didn't really understand why it was such a big deal because I didn't realize that most people don't come out at 12 (I did). My elementary school did have an unusually large proportion of out gay people, though.

20. Adarya

This is a pretty amazing article. Took a while to read and I think I've seen it somewhere before, but it's still sort of inspiring.

I'm in middle school right now and I've been thinking about coming out before I reach High School. Our middle school is separated into two High Schools, so I sort of want to tell my close friends about myself before we're separated, because there will definitely be a chance of losing touch after that. I feel like I owe it to them since they've always been such good friends... I'm just still afraid of coming out in middle school, especially if it gets around to the rest of the grade because then it could maybe get back to my father and family and then I will be in trouble.