1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad experiences?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by kizza111, Sep 26, 2009.

1. kizza111

Any one on here who had a bad experience when coming out, maybe losing a friend?

just post them here, i'd like to know what could happen because im thinking of coming out soon

:confused:

2. JoeG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yo, u seem really worried, and fair enough.
    no is that answer to the above qu'stion tho. the first time i told my best frined doens't count cos he was gay and he understands. the second person i told was a stright guy and he was shocked and abit surprised but then sorta said he always wondered,

the worst exeperince for me was coming out to a guy i still have a crush on, i aint told him i like him tho, not yet, but the reason it wass sooo hard was cos, i was always scared of him spreading it to he's friends, who r my friends to, but more his. they are alll realllly imature and it hacks me offf, but ive told him and he's been cool about it.

The very worse thing that could happen is they completly ignore u, but lets' be fair to ur best friend/s that aint gonna happen, im fairly sure in saying that they won't tell if u request that they don't. make it clear and say u trust them.

hope this helpsxx

3. revolutionrock

None at all, so far. For the most part it seems like the number of good reactions usually far surpass that of bad ones. For me it is just a moment of awkward build up followed by a feeling of relief, then back to normal. Plus it's so nice not editing myself around my friends.

And bad reactions will only make you stronger, right? :slight_smile:

4. fruitfly90

i wouldnt say i had a bad experience, but some people who i thought i could trust havent talked to me in a long long while. when i said i was attracted to woman on facebook, i forgot that i was friends with my bigoted cousins, who subsequently told their dad, who then phoned up my dad. i really felt sorry for my father; he really has been so supportive of me, and to hear stuff about me from his own brother was a bit harsh.
    My mum was fine with it, well, not at first, but she baked a cake [to come to terms, apparently] and the world was then a better place.she still 'forgets' that im gay sometimes and says 'ooh he's goodlooking isn't he?' and i just look at her like 'seriously. what are you doing.' but i know they would never try to change me.

when i told my best friend she was so supportive [her brother is gay also] and so were my other close friends. Others, well they dont talk to me either, but i dont need them do i.

5. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I told my best friend and roommate at the time, and we had a falling out. I haven't talked to him since. I've gotten over it so it doesn't really matter, but at the time it really made me sad. I'm better off without him around to bring me down.

6. Stuie

The worst experience I've had was one of my friends saying "I don't believe you", but we're still friends and it's really not an issue. I was a little more annoyed when I came out on facebook and only one person actually talked to me about it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It was really a huge non-event.

7. HighintheClouds

Sigh.. All the great friends/parents here....

My second worst experience was with my ex-best friend (yeah, you can guess what was one of the factors in that dissolution of that relationship).

My absolute worst experience was with my parents. Imagine being threatened with being kicked out of the house. Thank God things aren't that bad now, but they can still be quite tense and strained whenever sexuality comes up, especially with my mom...

8. JoeG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    like wise here, i texted some one and they were like 'U no i dunno wheather to believe u blah blah blah' i thought that was pretty funny , but not as much as 'so ur bi, that means u like girls and boys right??' blesss the dude that said that. i just went ' Jeezze wot else is that gonna mean? but yh....:lol:'

9. kettleoffish

I lost most of my friends when I was first outed, but they clearly weren't real friends if they didn't like me enough to stay with me. Obviously, it hurt at the time, but in hindisght, it was probably for the best because I know that my friends now really are my friends.

10. Beachboi92

so far i have not lost any friends or anything over the experience. Everyone i have been out to has treated me the same i guess because i waited so long to come out as a senior people knew me as me. You really shouldn't worry about it only real friends will have no problems with it. Anyone that would treat you differently in a bad way you are better off without them. I have had to deal with people i didn't really know treating me differently in a bad way (avoiding me and such) but for every person like that i found someone else who seemed to love me more for it xD

The only thing i can say that was badish was from my dad. I told him and he didn't really believe me and still thinks it is just a phase and all that and told me "the bible sais it is wrong cause i read it and thats how i feel" (he has never read the bible : /) He even went as far as to tell his girlfriend not to tell me about her gay son because "it would make me feel like it is ok" I mean i really have an intense dislike of my father for a lot of reasons besides his bigotry, racism, sexism, homophobia, child abusing ways.....

Basically take your time and wait till you are comfortable. Your real friends and family will accept and love you no matter what (*hug*)

11. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Friends were fine had no problem with them but family is another story. Came out to them they spent 2 days yelling and crying and telling me how disgusting and perverted it is and how ashamed of me they are and in my mums case walking out if the room when ever I walked into it then it just all stopped and we don't talk about it at all and they still go own about guys and stuff like it never happened I'm not sure I will ever be able to bring it up with them again.

But honestly if you really think someone will be ok with it then they probably will be I had my doubts about my parents anyway.

12. DexterMorgan

This happened to me recently.

I was talking to some new friends on my school bus, when one of my friends mentions a guy he saw on the beach. And just to be funny, I immediately blurted out "Is he hot!!!??!". And one of the girls just said "Wow....Gay!!". And then I said "Yeah, I am...". And all she said after that was "Awkward!". Apparently my friend says she was kidding, but I don't think that girl likes me anyway.

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically exactly the same experience here. I was already drifting apart from them, coming out just made it happen faster.

14. kizza111

thanks guys - :grin: good to know them and good advice :slight_smile: