1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did that really just happen?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ChopinFan, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ChopinFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not two hours ago I started having a conversation with my parents because they noticed my sulking and depression (for reasons I won't go into right now) and so eventually they came up to my room. I thought it was going to be the same conversation we'd had several times (dealing with my negative feelings towards my little brother and the consequences of that on my social life) and then we'd all leave more exasperated than when we had started.

As we talked topics moved from my brother to my friends to me. I explained how I felt that I've never had a friend I could really tell everything to so my mom said, "Then you can tell us" (Hah! And then we can ride unicorns down the rainbow path to the lollipop forest!)

So I kept hinting at "something" that I didn't want to tell them, saying that I would tell them eventually, and that I was thinking of telling someone at school just to see what would happen. One thing led to another and as they were zeroing in I just said, "You probably already know exactly what I'm talking about." After a short pause, my mom said, "Are you gay?" (Which is, coincidentally, a question she has asked me before to be met with a scoff and dismissal from me. Am I what?! That's preposterous!)

I knew my face was getting redder. They were staring at me expectantly. If I didn't tell them they would guess anyway. All I could manage was a nod.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded.

"Are you sure you're sure?"

Once again, I nodded.

"Oh, Mike. We just want you to know that we support you 100%"

My dad had yet to say anything, but he joined my mom and hugged me for a few minutes too long for comfort. Then they got to asking me questions. They asked my opinion on a whole bunch of people they suspected. It was kind of funny. One question I did not expect: "OK, I don't know if I should ask this but I'm just going to. You're not having any relations with any teachers or adults at school, are you?" Hahaha!
    OK that's gross....

Then another gem from my mother: "And we were so worried you were just a prude or something" .....thanks mom.

But anyway I've been shaking for about an hour now and I have no idea what to do next but I feel OK because my parents finally know and they're totally cool with it and respect me all the more for it and now I just have to find a way to tell the person I'm in love with :icon_bigg .

Wish me luck!

(Sorry for length)

#1 ChopinFan, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. Greggers

Hah, thats funny. "And we were so worried you were just a prude or something" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Congratulations! That seems to have gone REALLY well :slight_smile: 'Cause trust me, it could have gone much...much...much...worse...

I wish you look with telling you person you love. You have your parents on your side, so that should definitely help you!

3. biisme

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy that your parents are so supportive of you. (*hug*)

4. My mom did the same thing to me!

She kept asking me about my 50-year-old uncle who's been single his whole life, and I'm just like, "How the heck should I know if he's gay?" :lol:

Thanks for sharing your story, and good luck with telling your special someone. :slight_smile:

5. jp xch

jp xch Guest

Congrats!
    It sounds like it all went well.

6. Gaetan

That sounds like it went off without a hitch, actually. Congratulations! I can only hope mine goes just as smoothly, since I was considering doing it in a similar fashion.

7. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations :slight_smile: That's awesome and your parents sounds wonderful. Everyone should be so lucky.

8. dude99

dude99 Guest

Congrats!

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I'm envious. I'm not even gay, but i will NEVER EVER tell my father. he's just too stuck in his ways, it wouldn't help anything.

10. Astaroth

Haha! Congrats on the coming-out to your parents! Sounds like it went great. You've got a great way of retelling the story (I especially liked the mental image of the unicorns on the rainbow path to lollipop land, lol). Now that you have their support, the rest will be easier. (!)

11. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

Really glad it went well for you :slight_smile:, I was actually thinking something of the lines of what you thought about the unicorn on the rainbow path to lollipop land when I told my mother and she told me she already knew.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! Glad that it went well and that your parents are supportive and accepting. :slight_smile: