1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slowly but surely

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Magiclukie, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Magiclukie

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I plan to be totally out as Bi in college but im ajunior in HS now so only a few people know, by best gay friend, my best straight friend(girl) and another bi friend of mine (Girl) Im slowly working on telling more people, its scary but also Its liberating Can you guys leave tips below on thoos icebreakers leading to that disscussion with people to help me come out?

2. biisme

You could talk about a movie or a book perhaps where the main character were gay. You could start talking about politics and mention various things, one being DOMA, or perhaps something abou gay marriage or abortion. This is also good because if you're not sure what they think about non-straight people, they'll probably tell you their opinion there.

3. Beachboi92

talking about politics or simply being open just like you would expect a straight person to act. I simply go like there is no deal just like i have always been the same and just never talked about who i like before. Just remember your real friends will stick with you all the way and it feels good to be yourself :slight_smile: best of luck PM me anytime (*hug*)

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i only started coming out to everybody about a month ago. i've found that not shying away from conversations about attractive men is a good one. Inciting questions about your own orientation too, i jokingly insinuated that i'd been flirting with kamahl (met him at the airport last month) to a girl, and added the line "but i don't think he's the swing-both-ways type", whereupon she asked if i did.

5. pathtolambency

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recommend that you create an environment that is relaxed and "warm". This means that you make sure the person you are telling isn't on edge from a bad day at school/work, or isn't going through a very difficult time in their life. E.g. Breaking the news when someone has just lost a loved one, just was in a car crash, etc. Naturally, there is never a 'perfect' time and something is always going on, but try to make sure you are paying attention to their needs, too. This kinda goes without saying

Practical Ideas:
    --Take the person out to a nice place to eat (or better yet, make them a good meal)
    --Do something fun and relaxing (e.g. a walk through the park, go to the carnival, etc.)
    --Make sure they have had a chance to unload what is on their mind and listen to it attentively
    --Tell them how much you appreciate their friendship/support/care.

This all seems a bit much, but the whole point is to bond and get them in a place where they are more receptive to what you have to say. Once you have spent some quality time with them, casually tell them the events that led you to this realization (i.e. There's been something on my for a long time and I really think you deserve to hear it. All my life/for the past __ years I have realized that I am often attracted to guys/girls. so on and so forth). Add your anecdotes and personal stories to it to demonstrate the struggles you may have had, the embarrassing moments and the moments that solidified your choice.

If the person takes it well--Great! If not, show them that makes you sad. Go ahead and say, "I'm sorry you feel that way. I hear what you are saying, but this is who I am and I couldn't change, even if I wanted to." Don't be sarcastic or defensive. Just listen to their concerns, and understand the disappointments they may have (they shouldn't be though, it is your life and you get to decide how you live it). Don't worry about how they will react, concern yourself with what you will say and focus on what is true about who you are.

Best of luck and keep us informed how it goes :slight_smile:.

6. Magiclukie

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is really the best site ever, i love all you guys(and gals, and inbetweens). I find my self wanting to scream I like men a thousand times a day but not being able to, I'm happyer having discovered this about myself though and thats the first step, i'm slowly telling my close friends though Someday ill be completly out. Just one day at a time so far.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no rush on these things. Take all the time you need, all the time in the world.

8. Jim1454

It really is the best site! I'm glad you've found it. if you've already started coming out to people, then just stick with it when you're ready. It isn't a race. You have lots of time. And once you've got started, things can start to move quickly (or out of your control).

9. Magiclukie

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I love it It end to do everything like this fast im allready planning on telling more and more people ha if anyone asks i usually am honest idk im just finnally at a good place with this!(!)