1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by hkguy1, Oct 9, 2009.

1. hkguy1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey!

Although this is my first time posting I've been a lurker here for quite some time. As of recent I've been coming out and decided I would post my experiences here. So I think my entire life deep down inside I have known that I wasn't straight at least but would always deny and bury that fact because of my upbringing in a somewhat religious family and because its not the most accepted thing in society.I would try so hard to like girls but it just wasn't there. It wasn't until this time last year after being on my own in college for 2 years that I really began to start coming out to myself. This past summer is when I finally began to tell others. The first person i told was my prom date from when I was in high school. Its funny though because it turn out that she was gay also :lol:. So needless to say she was accepting. the next person i told was my sister. This was probably the worst of all my experiences so far. when i told her she cried but not because i was gay. She was hurt that my life would be harder and that i would have to go though bs that i shouldn't have to. She said that no matter whether she agreed with it or not that i would always be her big bro and would always love me! Another person who I've told is my Friend Matt. He is one of the greatest straight friends in that he actually will listen to me talk about my gay issues and is really the only one i can talk to about them as of right now. I've also told a few people in my section( i play in a marching band) and friends in general that i trust and not one has treated me any different than before( which was a fear that i had prior to telling them). So overall things have been good so far! Coming out has definitely gotten somewhat easier but at the same time its still awkward for me especially since I don't come off as gay at all (I've had one person not believe me for the first 30 minutes after being told):lol: I also have not told my parents and really don't plan on it til after graduate form college at this point.

End Story!:icon_bigg

2. RaeofLite

Welcome to EC (as an official member)! :grin:

Congrats on coming out to some people too. Feels great to be yourself around others eh? You came to the right place to find awesome support. EC is an awesome community. ^_^

3. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

It's a good idea not to tell your parents until after college, especially if they're paying for it. If it doesn't go as well as you would have hoped, then you won't have to deal with the consequences until after you've already graduated, which is a great thing considering the amount of stress in your life will be lessened.

Anyways, welcome to EC :slight_smile:

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC

5. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

welcome. its good u seem to have nice friends that aint judgemental.

6. kramer362

Congrats! And that's funny about your prom date, because my prom date turned out to be gay too :lol:

7. hkguy1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL:lol:! Yeah her and I have a theory that GLBT people tend to congregate whether we know it or not.......

8. RaRa

Welcome to EC and congrats on coming out! =)

9. Stuie

Welcome to EC!
    Yay for marching band! I was at school till 8pm tonight for marching band. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Congratulations on coming out as well. :grin:

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hello, hello.

It's a big step you just took, you should be proud of yourself.

11. AtomicCafe

Congrats!!!

Love the bit about your prom date! Also, as much as I hate to considering the subject, I'm going to have to second Nicvcer about waiting to tell the parents until after graduation. Having been there and done that in terms of being kicked out before or during college, they're a support system you're going to need right now, at least until you're sure they're accepting or that you can manage on your own.

12. Jim1454

Hi and welcome to EC! I'm glad this site helped you as a 'lurker' and that things are going well for you.

13. pianomike

Welcome to EC!!