1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out by earrings?!?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Mugwump, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Mugwump

Well let's see... there are a couple of things...

Firstly, I bought myself a very tiny pair of rainbow earrings. My first! I was worried about getting them, cos I felt silly, but then I went "stuff it, I'm gonna do what I want to do". They're just little studs, but when I wore them the first time I felt like I was wearing massive flashing lights, or a pink mohawk! I felt that they were sooo obvious.

Anyway, a woman at work has been talking to me a bit. She's a lot older than I am. On Monday she asked me to have lunch with her. I wore my earrings on Tuesday and Wednesday. We had lunch on Wednesday, and during the conversation she sort of came out to me! That has never happened to me before. Oddly enough I really wasn't surprised. I didn't say a word to her about me, but I assume the earrings did the talking. I have to wonder, though, whether she had made any assumptions before the earrings came along, since she asked me to lunch before I bought them. It all feels a bit odd really. I don't know what to make of her.

2. Jim1454

Awww - isn't that cool?!? You're obviously someone that she trusts and feels is approachable. She was probably waiting for you to say "I am too!"

3. AtomicCafe

I know that I've run into plenty of people who I've thought were gay but wasn't quite sure, so I stuck around them for a while. If all of them started wearing rainbow earrings, I'd be so thankful! I'm sure that's what she was thinking.

Anyway, great job with those earrings! :slight_smile: It's awesome wearing anything like that, no matter how small, since so many people will think you're just wearing rainbows because they're cute while the people who want to know do.