1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Different Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by AtomicCafe, Oct 17, 2009.

1. AtomicCafe

Well, I've been totally out for a few months. There's never been a single issue from anyone about it. (Sort of -- I was disowned by another side of my family when I was 15 after being outed by a "friend" way before I even know I was gay.) At very least, all the people I love have been fine with it. My friends are total allies and my family just says, "Don't flaunt it." Amusingly, they don't say this because they're uncomfortable with it, but just because they don't want me to be the victim of a hate crime.

I still totally flaunt it, though. It's not because I'm still in the stage where I haven't integrated being gay into my everyday life, but for other reasons. I want to set an example for other people. Between my own history with abuse and being kicked out and having friends who have been through the same, I've just always wanted to set an example of what a person can still do; because I'm Hispanic, female, an atheist, gay, dyslexic, and so many other things that make me a minority, I've always felt like it was my duty, in a way, to be a role model of sorts. I want people who meet me to know that I do my best to never discriminate and that I'm always a shoulder to cry on or an ear to talk to.

So, today I came out to my family about all of this. Now they know that I'm an active supporter and ally of LGBTQ and feminist issues. And guess what? I got a wonderful reception once more. :lol: My mom went right out and bought me all of these super-cute feminist magnets and pins and such. I was actually really worried; my family is the type that doesn't exactly accept whatever discrimination we're handed, but we don't actively say anything against it, either. I know they're still a little uncomfortable and think I'm going to be murdered one of these days, but...

Anyway, just a different kind of coming out for those of you who are trying to cope with more than just being gay/bi/lesbian/trans. Sometimes it does work out. :slight_smile:

2. Greggers

Shout out to the dyslexic queers! WOOT WOOT! :slight_smile:

And im very happy for you (*hug*) TBH, a tiny bit jelous. My parents are still scared shitless of me getting beat up for being gay (with some reason, it happens a fair bit were i live, not that the media ever covers it...) Its great that they are showing support even if they are still scared for you.

3. AtomicCafe

I think they're alright with the idea since I live in a pretty accepting city. We have had hate crimes in the past -- I can think of one from about a decade ago that ended in murder -- but as far as the rest of America goes, we're amazingly liberal. I'm surprised it's common in Canada; I've never stayed there for more than a month at a time and I only know pockets well, but I wouldn't expect that.

Whoo, dyslexic queers FTW! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I shall join you in being a Dyslexic queer! :grin:

5. AtomicCafe

Whooooo! I think we need some sort of group celebration for this! xD

6. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Lets get the music on and the party food out. :grin: =P

7. AtomicCafe

(!) (!) (!) (!)

Oh, man, we're going to throw an awesome party!

8. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

WOOO HOOO! PARRRRTY!!!

[​IMG]

9. revolutionrock

Yay for being out in Tucson! :grin:

10. AtomicCafe

WHOO dyslexics and Tucson!! xD

Are you also a Tucsonian?

11. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

:lol::icon_bigg

12. Paragon

Paragon Guest

I LOVE YOU! your story made my soul happy, and i can relate, im "that vegetarian atheist boy"
    im on the verge of coming out so gay will be added to that list... :grin:
    :hug:

13. RaeofLite

Add my girlfriend to the list of dyslexic gays. :slight_smile: I feel for you guys and feel fortunate for being able to read easily. Charge on through life though guys. :grin:

14. Gaetan

If we're all dyslexic, shouldn't it be...
    [​IMG]

:lol: Sorry, I'm going to get shot for that.
    (I do have a mild case of dyslexia myself.)

Attached Files:

15. revolutionrock

Not natively, but I'm at U of A. It is an awesome place to be gay. Haha!

16. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

LOL! Took me a while to realise what you had done. hehe

17. AtomicCafe

LOL! Love that poster! My dyslexia is pretty minor now (was a lot worse as a kid), but I still appreciate that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Paragon: You're so sweet! Best of luck with your coming out, and I hope it goes a thousand times better than anything you can expect. And vegetarian queers represent!

18. Greggers

My dyslexia is crippling x_o its not the traditional "i see crap backwards" but more of a "my brain cannot process numbers". I literally cannot do math or comprehend numbers at all. This often leaves me tipping 30-40% by accident or using my hands to do pretty much 98% of all math. I deal with it by making friends with math majors and using calculators though, heh.

I also cant tell left from right, b from d, and some other random shit like that.

19. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Left and rights get them mixed up soo much especially when driving... Numbers love them! Anything englishy not a hope in hell! Nothing clicks. Plus generally cack handed!

EDIT:

Also I cant speak to save my self! Stuttering, mixing words up, half explaining things with out realising it. I have been known just to give up on a conversations as I couldn't get the words out right.

#19 Jiggles, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2009
  20. AtomicCafe

Mine seems to be the exact opposite... numbers are the only things that make sense to me, which led me to be a math major. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Words are horrible to read, but I'm fine with spelling. (Don't get me started on how much I hate fonts other than the standard ones.) I'm directionally-challenged most of the time, too. Also, I'm horrible at speaking; as a kid, I had a horrible stutter, and now I'm perfectly fine with public speaking since I slow down then, but if I'm talking to friends, it takes me a few tries to get most words right.