1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was the first person you came out to?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Oct 18, 2009.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

Just wondering cuz I *might* be ready to tell someone. Was it a good or bad experience? Please tell ur story!

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told a friend at school that I liked another girl, and she reacted fine, better than most people I told later on. The first person I actually said the words "I think I'm gay" to was my sister, and she was awesome about it, and had pretty much figured it out for herself.

3. Zero Beat

Someone was bugging me in class, they had been doing it for the past month, and i was fed up with it. so i yelled at him, "Yes i am f-ing gay, get over it" the class went quite. THE TEACHER even laughed. So not a good way to come out. :grin: I left the school at the end of year. I still get emails from people asking me if i am gay from that class. Stupid people.

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

My really good friend from Sweden. He was perfectly fine with it xD . He told me he supported me fully.

5. x2x2x2x2y2

I've considered just tapping a piece of paper to my moms door saying "I'm gay" on it but I don't think that would be the best way. It just seems nice cuz it's so simple. I've also considered texting my sister or friend and just coming rite out and saying it. It seems so hard to do though!

6. revolutionrock

One of my best friends, when she (finally) asked me. Haven't had a bad reaction yet, I'm glad to say. :slight_smile:

I've found that it helps not to overthink it. If the moment feels right, go for it. Planning, for me at least, makes things 10x more stressful.

Good luck when you decide to tell your first!

7. x2x2x2x2y2

One thing I promised myself was that if someone(but it has to be a friend or family) ever asked me if I was gay I would say flat out yes. But they would have to be serious. Not just joking around.

8. AllSmiles

Well, the first time I came out was to a friend on MSN. I asked her if I could tell her and secret and if she could keep it. She said yes, and then I just told her. She was really cool about it, and she was completely positive and supportive, too, so it was really nice.

When I came out to my mom, it was face-to-face, though. I'd say you should do that.

Even though I used MSN the first time, I quite sure that the next time I come out to someone, it'll be face-to-face. It's way better that way, I think. You're able to answer questions better and see how the other person feels about.

I'm really lucky, I haven't had any bad reactions yet, but I've only come out to two persons so far, so that might be the reason.

I think it's best to do it face-to-face. That's the experience I have after doing it twice. It feels a lot better, I think.

And as revolutionrock said, don't overthink it too much. I thought a lot about, what I should say to her, but when I finally told her, I didn't used any of the words I had planned to use. If you do think too much about it, it can make you doubt, which isn't a thing you need.

Good luck, I hope it'll turn out great and make you feel awesome :icon_bigg

9. frostreaver

My older sister. Two reasons why I chose her:

1. I know she has a least 2 or 3 gay/bi friends so I think she will be ok with it.
    2. I will be going to the same uni as her and will be staying with her and I plan to be open about it there.

I was shaking when I told her on MSN but she was fine with it and didn't care. :slight_smile:

10. Mugwump

Hmmm, after my psychologist... the first 'real' person was my best friend. She took it very well. Although she knew way back when I was still working myself out. So does that count? My first official "I'm gay" type coming out was to a friend I babysit for. She took it fine too. Hugs all round!

Good luck with telling people :slight_smile:

11. Adam

First person was my oldest sister, well besides my online friends I had told a few months earlier.
    I told her because I thought she would take it the best, but everyone took it well!

12. Mickey

I told my younger sister,I was 15 and she was 12! We still joke about it,to this day.
    Why? Because her reaction was,"I don't care,but mom will be mad!" Everything worked out okay,in the end.

13. EM68

I told my sister. I knew she would take it well. She went to Art school for college and one of her roommates there is bi. She encouraged me to come out to my parents and friends. She knew 2 gay guys at school, one was out and one wasn't. She said my life would be better when I come out. It is! :grin:

14. Apocalypte

One of my closest friends, at a Metallica gig. Too many hot rocker chicks there not to say something! :slight_smile:

She was surprised, but just pretty much went "Right so. More beer?". I like that reaction.

Second person I came out to was my best friend. He's gay too, and apparently I'd been triggering his gaydar for years. He was 100% expecting it when I came out to him.

#14 Apocalypte, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  15. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    My sister I was expecting abit more of a reaction she just shrugged *pfft* teenagers

16. AgentS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A female coworker I am really close with. She is very intelligent, grounded, and honest and I knew she would have some good advice (which is what I really needed). I am so glad I told her. When I first started to say "I need to talk to you" I was so scared I was shaking. By the time we were done talking I was so happy! I don't think I had ever felt that releaved before in my entire life.

17. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A dude at school who broke the day of silence to reprimand an egregiously bigoted comment at dinner. Granted, the comment was from someone who actually ISN'T a bigot, he just puts on the persona to survive at work and deal with his own sexuality.

But that was by e-mail. Verbally was my roommate, which I explained over at my thread. Turns out they're both gay, so everything couldn't have gone better.

It is SO much better when you're out. Just the freedom to talk about dudes alone is worth it.

18. Gaetan

The first person I came out took it remarkably well. That was me, of course.

The actual first person who knows besides myself asked, and I had halfheartedly admitted to myself that I would answer truthfully if someone asked. I swallowed whatever fear I had, and said yes. (Granted, this was online and I actually barely know her, but it was still a coming out.) She took it very well, and keeps bugging me to marry her.

19. GhostDog

The first person I ever said anything ever to was actually to one of my Warcraft guildies. >.> I was exceedingly depressed/anxious/confused and I think at that point it was "say something or explode". So I was all "Argh! I might like women but I have no goddamn idea and it's driving me crazy!" and she was super-sweet and supportive and apparently had questioned herself at some point, too. <3 She talked to me for a while and made me feel so much better.

But the first people I ever said anything to, face to face, were my best friend and my oldest-little* brother (who were in the room at the same time). And it was because A. I made some comments that made her ask "... Does Kirah like girls? =O!" and B. I was not completely sober at the time and felt less like I had to hide it. So naturally kinda yelled, "HAHA, I LIKE CHICKS!" when she asked (and then went on to say "But I might still like guys kinda? I don't knowwww!"). =P My brother's gay, so he was surprised but supportive! And my best friend just said, "Hey, it's cool, you just gotta date around and see who you like!"

I've yet to have any bad reactions to it, though. =D I'm very happy about that.

*Does that term make sense? I be the eldest and he be the middle child, anyway.

20. x2x2x2x2y2

One of my sisters has had a gay coworker/friend so I'm thinking of starting with her. She's very open minded too.