1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It went so much better than I had expected....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Kevin42, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I just registered, but I have been lurking around the forums, and especially reading the coming out section because I have decided I want to come out to more people. While I still haven't come out to some of the people that I want to, I have come out to my parents, which was the most important to me. So here is how it went:

I had actually just started coming to this site everyday for a week, to get an idea of how people's parents reacted when they found out that their son was gay. For some reason, I just decided that it was time for my parents to know that I was gay. I think my main motivations were that I had just turned 21 and was tired of them not knowing, along with the fact that I have been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years. Anyways, I had just decided I really wanted them to know, and since they were going to be coming to stay at my "roommate's" (boyfriend's) and my apartment that weekend I thought maybe that would be when I was going to tell them. For a while, I had just hoped that maybe my parents would figure out that I was gay and ask me...that seemed like it would be alot easier than telling them. Unfortunately, my mother seemed clueless, so I had given up hope on that. So the weekend comes, and my family comes to visit. John, my roommate/boyfriend, decided to go home because he had alot of studying he needed to do. That night, after my parents and I had come back to my apartment from dinner, my dad went out for a walk and my mother and I watched TV. During a commercial, my mom all of the sudden mutes the TV and says, "Kevin, we have a good family right? We can be honest with each other and stuff...?" I told her yes, of course. So she said, "Well, I have something to ask you. And before you answer, just let me finish.....So, is there any chance that maybe you and John are more than just good friends. I have seen the way you two act around each other, and the way you look and talk to each other. You have never been interested in dating girls either, so I am starting to think maybe you and John are more than friends." Well, at this point I felt strangely calm, which kind of surprised me. I told her that John and I were "more than just friends", and asked her how she knew, and if dad knew we were talking about this. She said she could just tell, and that her and my father had already talked about it. She said they were both fine with it, and they still loved me and that they both thought John was "a very sweet boy". And although she said she didn't want to know if we were having sex or not, she said she was actually glad that I am happy and that she doesn't have to worry about me being lonely. She said she that she really still wants me to go to church (we are Catholic), but that there are some things that she doesn't agree with the Church on, and she trusts me to figure out what I believe. Besides that though, she said she was very glad that I was happy, and that I had found such a nice boy. It was really great, and her and my dad both took it so well, I was really shocked. I was thinking they might take it ok, but this was just amazing. I guess that just goes to show you that even the people you think you know best can surprise you!

(I also found out that my older cousin, who everyone in the family always says I am very similar to, is gay as well.)

2. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Wow that must of be totally unexpected! :grin: Love it when these things just come out good. :slight_smile:

4. Gaetan

Heh, isn't it nice when things go exactly as you'd hoped? Congratulations!

5. x2x2x2x2y2

That's awesome! Congrats! I can tell you have great parents! =)

6. Aww, I love it. Congrats! (*hug*)

7. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SOOOO jealous.

Awesome story. Just awesome.:thumbsup:

8. HighintheClouds

Oh WOW. Congrats man. That's amazing.. You're so lucky you know that?

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a great story, Kevin! And how cool that you and your mom were so much on the same wavelength that you both thought of it at the same time :slight_smile:

10. Astaroth

Hehe, parents are so intuitive sometimes. Great story, and good luck with other coming outs! :eusa_clap

11. Mickey

What a great story. Congratulations. Your parents are really awesome. You must feel so relieved. Thanks for sharing your story. It may just help others the way some stories helped you. That is,after all,why we're all here.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a great coming out story Kevin! Congratulations! :slight_smile:

13. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Haha, yeah I thought it was kind of spiffy that we had been thinking about the same thing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

I definitely realize that I am lucky. My boyfriend, whose parents are more liberal and "open-minded" didn't even take it this well!

14. Prccgeek

That story made me so happy. Your parents are really wonderful. I'm glad it all worked out so well!

15. DexterMorgan

Great story! You have very loving parents!

16. werekid

congratz on coming out to your parents

17. EM68

That is a great story. I 'm glad to see that your mom was so supportive.

18. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations :slight_smile: I am happy for you that everything went well, everyone should be so lucky. :kiss:

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    right on! I hope all your coming out stories end this well.

20. Jim1454

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing it.

My parents were also just happy that I was happy. I think that's what all parents want for their kids.