1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My coming out in High Def!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by HackmanWIU, Nov 2, 2009.

1. HackmanWIU

Hi my name is Ryan, recently came out to parents, sister and friends. Just thought I would share my story with everyone. I decided to "warm up" on my sister about a week ago so I called her up and started the usually conversing. I said something along the lines of "struggling" to find myself for a couple of years now and I told her "I'm gay" and have accepted who I was. She took it fine, without stride. I did want to tell my parents in person, however, she convinced me otherwise insisting I would feel a lot better. I'm at WIU about 3 1/2 hours away so it wasn't like I could just go see them. So I decided to call my dad. He was in traffic, of course I was a little concerned! :grin: I started going in telling him about sexuality and I just came out with "Dad, I'm gay". At first he thought I was pulling my leg but after much persistence he came to terms with me saying it. Not going to lie the car ride was full of awkward pauses, and questions. "So you're saying dudes turn you on?" I was like "Correct". He was shocked to say the least. But I will always remember what he told me "Ryan, your mother and I will love you no matter, and I am at a loss for words now because it is something I fully don't understand, but time heals everything." After that he was at home in the drive way. It was Mom's turn. Again "Shock and awe" but she "loves me no matter what". She started getting all funny, hoping she never said anything "off color". She even seemed puzzled as to why I waited so long since she is a flight attendant and has numerous gay friends. Needless to say, my heart was pounding afterwords. I never felt better since though and I am so glad I did, finally I get to be myself and embrace feelings I have had all this time. :thumbsup:

2. Pokerface

:slight_smile: whoo! that's a great story, I'm glad. I came out to my sister first of all, too. :grin:

3. AllSmiles

Congrats on coming out and well done :thumbsup:

The parents are usually the ones that are hardest to tell, so it seems that you're well on your way :slight_smile:

Again, congrats (*hug*)

4. RaRa

Congrats! That put a smile on my face. :grin:

5. Gaetan

:thumbsup:
    Well done! Glad everyone took it so well! Also glad your dad didn't wreck while in traffic!

6. Bryan44

Awesome :grin: Congrats!! (!)

7. Jim1454

Great story - glad it went so well!

8. Ralivar

Congratulations

I hope that when I come out to my parents that it goes so well.

9. Time

Aww. How sweet. :slight_smile:

10. AgentS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is great!

11. Mickey

I love a great coming out story.I congratulate you and your parents. All of us who are out know just how hard this is. Your parents responses were so awesome.( and your sisters,as well)
    I know you feel so much better now,and now on to a closet-free life! Good job!

12. Paragon

Paragon Guest

Epic Win!
    Happy For U!! :d

13. werekid

nice job on coming out

14. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I am so glad it went so well for you! It sounds like you have a very supporting and loving family :slight_smile: .

15. EM68

Congrats for coming out to you parents! I know how hard it can be to come out to parents.

16. Peter

Great story. Congratulations - it seems that your parents have taken it very well, of course a flight attendant would now what it means.