1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out to Ex-Wife

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by s5m1, Nov 4, 2009.

1. s5m1

Well, on the heels of the Maine referendum loss, I decided to follow Harvey Milk’s advice (“You must come out”) and come out to my ex-wife. She was very surprised (stunned) but reacted well. She asked questions about our marriage and my feelings towards her when we were married, as well as the basics of what makes someone gay. We talked a lot about our children and how having a gay parent has no impact on whether children grow up to be healthy, well-adjusted adults, or whether they turn out to be gay themselves. I told her I am happy to talk about this again anytime and to answer any other questions she may have. We even talked about my boyfriend and gay marriage! At the end, she said she was happy for me and wished me well.

This was so typical of every time I have come out to someone important to me. I agonized over it for so long and, in the end, it went just fine. The fear and anticipation has always been worse than the actual act.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! I'm really happy for you that your ex-wife took it so well, and that you could talk with her about being gay, and where you are in your life. That is awesome! :slight_smile:

There is just something about coming out, isn't there? God know how many times I have agonized over coming out to someone important in my life.

3. Peter

Well done. I remember the stress of coming out to my wife 15 months ago and to my children shortly thereafter. Glad she is taking it well. (!)

4. TriBi

Hey! Glad to hear that the stress was replaced by relief!

Congrats -and it sounds like she is going to remain close even if she is no longer your partner - great result. :icon_bigg

5. KneeDragger

Congrats! Glad she took it well.

6. Jim1454

I'm glad to hear that went well. It's so much easier when both parents are on the same page on this issue. Congrats!!!

7. CrimsonThunder

Haha that is so true. Glad to hear it worked out well!

8. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my wife about two months ago. Right now we don't talk much about the issue. I don't know how to deal with the Bi side of me, the side that likes men. My striaght side loves my wife. At least now my guy side is not secret. I need to find out how the channel the energy of my attraction to other men. The black and white dictates of monogamy would prevent any expression of my bi side while remaining married. So, how many of us would walk from our marriages to explore our bi side?

9. EM68

Congrats! I know that you have been working on this for a while. Well done!

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wow, you may have lost a wife but you gained a GREAT friend! Good job!

11. x2x2x2x2y2

Congrats! Your exwife is awesome! Lol I love to hear stories like these. So nice! =)