1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointed by my Church Family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jim1454, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Jim1454

First off, I don't want this thread to become a "Well what did you think? All religion is for brainless morons and spineless losers" thread. That's not what I'm looking to here. I still firmly believe that there's a place for religion - and other congregations have demonstrated their support for the LGBT Community.

Unfortunately, mine didn't. :icon_sad:

Having come out to my kids in June, I've since come out to a number of people so that the kids would be safe and comfortable if they were to bring it up. My extended family, their teachers, and in September my wife and I met with our Minister to tell him.

At that meeting he was certainly shocked, but seemed quite supportive. He didn't come anywhere near 'condoning' my decision to accept my homosexuality, but he also said that in God's eyes none of us is perfect. What encouraged me was that he also said that when we think we know it all, we're in trouble. Which led me to think that perhaps my coming out had given him cause to reasess his thoughts on homosexuality.

Being the treasurer for the church, I have wondered for a while what the church leadership would think of having a gay treasurer. So when he asked if I wanted him to bring this up with the leadership team (the elders of the church) I said that would be fine. I wanted to know if they still wanted me to carry on.

I got the answer Thursday night.

They don't.

They didn't think it would be appropriate for a 'practicing homosexual' to hold the office of treasurer. Had I admitted to being gay but were abstaining, that would have been fine. And while they knew this would upset us (my wife and I) they wanted us to know that we were still loved and welcome at the church.

Well I don't feel very loved. And I certainly don't feel welcome. Not any more.

So not all coming out stories have a happy ending.

However, I'm glad that I came out. Very glad. I needed to know that this is how they felt. I needed to know for my own sake and for the sake of my kids. My wife and I are on the same page here - our kids will be raised to respect and love everyone. And this decision made it very clear that this church doesn't respect me.

Despite having been their treasurer for 5 years. Despite having been praised repeatedly for the excellent stewardship I've provided regarding the church finances.

The fact that these beliefs and attitudes persist anywhere is problematic. But the fact that these beliefs and attitudes are present amongst people I considered my friends is upsetting to me.

I'm glad I came out. And I'm glad the church leadership team knows I'm gay. And before long, the entire congregation will know that I'm gay, and they'll all be told that I've been asked to step down as treasurer because of it. And they'll all know how that makes me feel as a gay person - it makes me feel 'less than'. And they'll all know that as a result of this that I won't be attending their church any longer. Nor will my wife or my children. I made this message very clear to the Minister and my elder on Thursday night - as did my wife, and the rest of the congregation will hear it too.

And if just one person changes their perception about what gays are like, and how they should be treated, then I'll have accomplished something. And even if nobody changes their mind, I won't have to wonder any longer about how people would feel about having a gay treasurer.

It has been an upsetting few days, but I don't regret it for a second. And it was important that I share it with my EC family. (*hug*)

2. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    First, I think they use the word "love" but they've changed the definition so much that it's basically meaningless as a way to express how they feel about you. They say love so that it appears on the outside that the don't overtly hate your lifestyle, but they probably do. I've experienced it my self. When they say "Hate the sin, not the sinner" they don't actually mean it. It's a cop out for taking responsibility for their hateful actions and words. If I were you, which I'm not, I would go to a more accepting church. I hear that methodists are very nice. In fact, my mom's pastor, a woman(which is important in a society that openly says that women shouldn't preach), did plays in a gay community theatre and was entirely accepting of me when I came out. It's not like that everywhere, but it makes things easier. It's not so much a religious issue as it is one of people trying to enact their hateful beliefs on you.

Second, That takes balls to do what you did, I mean I never would have come out to a church member if I thought they weren't going to be accepting. The fact that you have honesty as such a high standard for yourself is very admirable.

3. Alex19

still loved and welcome? thats some christian, condecending bullshit. i hate it when they say they still "love" you. its a crock of SHIT. plus, how could u still even feel welcome after they took away your position as treasurer? if u did it perfectly b4, why should that change just because ur gay? just cause they know now doesnt mean that ur gonna do any less good of a job. if i were u, id tell them off. but, in the most polite, conceded, stuck up way. and with their own dosage of condecention. Tell them that ur gonna find a local MCC to worship at. that'll send the message :slight_smile:

4. shorty

Well done Jim! i'm very happy, yet very sad for you at the same time. I have similar feeling to Alex above, how can they say they still love you, yet refuse your services as treasurer. Makes my head spin. But! you are right, and I think you are so very lucky that your wife and children are supporting you so lovingly by deciding not to be members of that church anymore. That is pretty serious dedication and understanding on their behalf (which of course you hope to have from loved ones). I really hope your leaving manages to cause a bit of an uproar amongst the more open minded of the congregation. (*hug*)

5. CrimsonThunder

Thats bullshit.

You should start a petition to get your spot back, then when you got it tell em to stuff it. But of course, reassure them that you still love them. *rolls eyes*

6. Emberstone

maybe in the future, you coming out will have a positive effect, when they realize that you arnt a different person than you were before they knew. Maybe some will realize that all that changed was how they saw you, and we can hope it will humanize the issue.

The greatest ask we have is not gay marriage, it is to humanize being gay to as many people as we can.It is demonized so much, and there are some people who will never learn to understand. But the more people we can get to see this as a human issue, the easier persueing equality will become.

Hope more learn to accept and embrace you.

7. Eleanor Rigby

I am sorry that you don't feel welcome in your church anymore, especially after that you have been deeply involve in it. I wish things would have taken another turn. In the other hand, even if the church leadership doesn't want you to keep your activities for the church, coming out to them and coming out the all the congregation might change their view about homosexuality. Maybe not right now, maybe not anytime soon, but you'll never know.
    I hope you'll find another church where you'll be welcome for who you are.
    Many (*hug*)(*hug*)

8. Gaetan

The more I think about it, the more being gay is like being left handed. Sure, it's different...but does it really matter? Not in the slightest. Would it matter if you were a left handed treasurer? Of course not.

So why is being a gay treasurer any different?

9. Jim1454

Thanks everyone for your comments and support.

To be clear, we won't be attending that church going forward. That is clear.

And yes - I hope that out of all this at least some members consider the official position of the church and alter their own perception of what it means to be gay.

10. Nitro

You found out that your church community didn't accept you for you, and gaining that knowledge was a good thing. Hopefully by your dismissal and exit more good will be caused by forcing the ignorant to question their false assumptions.

Fortunately in Toronto, as in other big cities, there are a number of affirming churches. MCC and affirming ministeries of the United Church (aka the conglomerate church) are both present in your area. Surely there are also churches where you would be welcome that may also not be immediately evident as well.

11. x2x2x2x2y2

That sucks but atleast the truth is out. If they don't accept you, it's their problem not yours. It's also very nice to see your Exwife back you up. I bet the church will be sad with you gone. =)

12. EM68

I am proud of you for coming out to your church and sorry for their reaction. What you did took a lot of guts knowing the risks of what could have happened. You are really a true role model for the members of EC. I hope you find a church that is accepting of you and your family. (*hug*)(*hug*)

13. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I am one of those Christians who refuse to lose my faith and if the Church wants me out I'm not going out without a fight! I am proud of you for being a proud Christian and a proud Gay and still paving the way for homosexuals to stay in the Church. I think HUMANITY is the one who is screwing up RELIGION (in general, not just Christianity)... GOD IS LOVE! WAKE UP!!!! But enough of me ranting...The Lord loves you and that's all that matters. I commend you and together we shall overcome this homophobia in religion. Kudos.

And from what I gathered, the let you go from the treasury position? They'll see the difference once your gone...just watch. So literally, it's still their loss, not yours. Now you have more time to spend with family and finding yourself :slight_smile: God Bless.

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very Milk-esque thing to do, congratulations.

You don't need them to maintain your personal faith. I equate what has happened to you with being kicked out of your boys' club at school for being a 'pansy', it's the exact same maturity level being demonstrated by that group of people. You're better than them. And doing what you did might just make a difference.

15. NJCentralGary

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is the bravest thing I have heard yet!! I can't imagine coming out to someone that "I think" may not be accepting, but to come out to your church? That's an amazing thing, and you should feel good about it. You have friends and family that support you, that's a great thing! You are like a super hero...we'll call you "Cap'n Treasurer" :thewave:

16. Jim1454

LOL! Thanks for the wave! But you can continue to call me Jim.

I've found a very unlikely allie in this situation - my ex mother in law! My (ex) wife called her mom last Thursday night to talk to her, because she was so upset at what had happened at our meeting with the Minister that evening. Her mother was outraged that they had arrived at that decision and asked me to step down.

She is an elder herself at her church - which is the same denomination as ours - and they apparently have an openly gay elder as part of their leadership team! Her friends and past ministers that she spoke to were also outraged over this. (Reading between the lines - I'm being outed to COUNTLESS people now... but I'm cool with that. It's for a good cause!) She phone our minister herself to give her a piece of her mind - and take it from someone who knows... he would have gotten an earful! :icon_wink

One of the people she talked to sits on a governing board that oversees all the churches in the region, and he planned to bring up this subject there!

I didn't really want to cause any trouble. I really just wanted to know where I stood personally. But the fallout just since last Thursday seems pretty positive - in that the topic of gay rights and acceptance is being talked about. And I haven't really even got started yet. I'll start making some calls today or tomorrow - to let people know why I won't be attending the monthly meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow night.

I wanted you all to know that your words of support have provided me with a lot of encouragement over the past few days. I was feeling pretty down, but then I'd see that someone else had posted to this thread - and it made me feel better. Thank you! (*hug*)

I'll provide you with updates as I get them. Stay tuned!

17. s5m1

Jim, I am sorry to hear about their reaction. However, I am so proud of the decision you made. You are truly an inspiration for us all!

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jim,

Once again, you really set a standard for others to reach for. As others have said, it takes incredible courage to speak your truth when you have reason to believe that the group you're speaking to may not be accepting.

What I don't really understand is how the church elders, whose role it is, ultimately, to ensure the continued growth and vibrancy of the church, feel that they are doing anyone a service by alienating people. But perhaps through the outrage that others are sharing on your behalf, I suspect this may be one of those situations where, even if there isn't immediate change that results, there will at least be a lot of people who are forced to really think and consider the conflict between their bigoted elders and their hearts.

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    ((((((((((Jim)))))))))) I'm so sorry you've been through all this but you absolutely did the right thing. People in that congregation need to examine their own feelings and opinions on this and like you said, if it moves one person then it was for a good cause! I think you are so brave for telling your minister and I love your ex-wife! She's the best! I hope you can all find a congregation that loves and accepts you for who you are.

Now...if you're looking to volunteer your services. My PFLAG chapter is in desperate need of a treasurer. :wink: LOL Seriously, maybe you could put your talents to work for a group like PFLAG! I wish I lived by you!

20. Courtneyyy

Wow. That's rough. Just wondering, what is the denomination of your church? My church family is a big part of my life (well, before I went away to school it was anyway) and I would be devastated if I no longer had that in my life.