1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another one down, another one down, another one...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Ander Blue, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    I just told my sister tonight! It was great! I told her by phone because she is on the other coast and we wont be seeing each other in person until Christmas. Anywho, I'm so glad the way she handled it. I could hear a bit of 'panic' in her voice when I let the exact words come out, but that was quickly relieved and soon we were chatting about how now we'll be able to talk about hot guys together, lol. My sister marks the third person/s that I've come out to. The first people were my fraternity brothers, and the second my best friend from home. I'm so psyched that everything has been going so well, and I can't wait till I have the chance to say that everyone who matters in my life knows!

2. guacj

So glad everything is going so well for you, and welcome to EC!

3. olides84

Congrats on coming out to your sister. It's great that you are so enthusiastic, and I hope your coming outs continue to be so positive.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your sister. Glad that it went so well for you. :slight_smile:

5. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for coming out to your sister. I'm happy everything went well.

6. Nawy56

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats on coming out to the sister! and your fraternity brothers were some of the first? That is impressive. I am terrified to tell my brothers. I really think most will accept me (we've had gay brothers in the past). but I am simply don't want them to feel uncomfortable with me living in the house with them. I love my experience with the fraternity thus far, and I really don't want it to change. at the same time I just can't wait to be out to whoever cares. They will probably be some of my last to know as a whole.
    How was your experience with it?

7. Ander Blue

Coming out to my brothers was a hard choice for me to make, but I did it. For me too, one of my biggest concerns was making my brothers feel uncomfortable due to my sexuality. I was also really worried about the effect my coming out would have on the image of my fraternity to campus and to the pledges. Also, my chapter has had problems with alumni and gay pledges in the past (a few years ago, an out pledge was pressured out of joining by some extremely rude, inconsiderate, and ignorant alumni). These were my main concerns surrounding the situation.
    I chose to come out to my fraternity first for a few reasons. For one, I see my brothers more than I see any other people in my life. In trying to hide my sexuality, I spent the most effort and time hiding it from them. Second, my brothers are going to be figures in my life for its entirety. I would like for that reason to make sure that the time that we have together now can be spent without any false pretenses. Lastly and probably the largest reason for why I came out to my fraternity first, I had another brother who was also going through the process of coming out. He had already told some random friends of his and his brother back home, but he hadn't yet came out to any of the brothers at the fraternity. We worked together in coming out to the chapter. He decided to tell brothers one at a time, while I left it for a house meeting to tell them all at the same time, in a revered and formal atmosphere.
    After telling my brothers, I got overwhelming feedback of support and praise. They said they will always be there for me, and as brothers they are here to protect me and have my back in any situation. I told them about my concerns with the alumni, our image, and the pledges. They have all told me that they'll defend me from any guff that I get from alums, and that they don't think it's even necessary for them to know, being that it doesn't affect them in way. As for the image and the pledges, I'm still trying to get my mind around that one....
    From your worries though, I can say that the best thing that can happen after coming out is that you have the chance to talk with your brothers about any concerns or insecurities they have about it. You'll be able to get their true thoughts instead of just speculating them. From my experience, all my brothers have been extremely open to it. They understand it's my life and that it's my choice to live it the way I want. There are a few brothers in my house that I know have some insecurities, but it's nothing that I can't work around and accommodate.
    Looking back on my choice to come out to my fraternity first, I see it as the best choice I could have made. For one, I was going to tell them at some point sooner or later, and the only fears I had for telling them didn’t depend at all on who I may have told prior. Coming out is a stressful process, and you’re sent through an emotional roller coaster the whole way. Because I’ve told my brothers first, I have them to go to when I’m thrown through the loops, climbs, and drops of emotions. When I’m working on coming out to someone, I can go to a brother and express my stress and worries. When I’ve come out to someone and it went well, I can go and share my ecstasy with my brothers and let the joys and happiness flow. If I ever have a bad coming out, I know I have a brother to put my head on his shoulder, vent my sadness and receive comfort in my time of pain.
    It is terrifying, the thought of letting them know. However, fear feeds in irrational thoughts and grows into unreasonable worries. The benefits are wonderful. You still have to be ready to tell your brothers before you can come out to them though. When you can tell them depends entirely on you.

(Sorry for it being super super long...)

8. Phantasma

Congratulations on a successful coming out! It's always a joy to read about positive reactions like that.

9. Ander Blue

Just told my ex-girlfriend today too! She took it rather well (I think... She never really stopped talking after I told her, so I think she may have talked herself through any shock...)