1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out to One of My Best Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by mmilam75, Nov 22, 2009.

1. mmilam75

So, Itook step one on Friday and came out to a friend of mine that I used to go to church with. I had the speech prepared, and I was genuinely surprised - he talked about having a number of gay friends and seemed, if not altogether supportive, at least not openly hostile. Given the composition of my social circle for the last few years, this was probably as good of a conversation as I could have hoped for, and I was tremendously surprised - by the end of the time together, we were laughing and joking as if nothing had changed, which was the biggest surprise for me personally.

One down, about five to go :icon_bigg

2. 19rockr

19rockr Guest

Near Lexington, KY, by 45 miles to the east.
    Congrats on making the first step! Good luck on making the next ones. Hopefully he can have back when you do...!

3. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Well done! First ones the worst then they get better! :slight_smile:

4. mmilam75

I am curious - for those of you who have dealt with more religious people when you come out to them, how have you dealt with that? My social circle has existed for the longest time almost entirely of folks who come from a very religious background, so I am, frankly, expecting the worst...not that this is going to stop me from coming out to them, but I am curious as to how other folks have approached similiar situations...

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Great job Marcus. I guess no one can really know how someone is going to react. You just have to deal with them one at a time and hope for the best.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your friend. Glad it went so well. :slight_smile:

Sometimes, friends and others can put their religious views aside and realize that someone's sexual identity is just a normal part of someone's identity. As Becky mentioned, take it one coming out at a time. Hopefully your coming out will continue to be as positive as your last one.

7. fulofbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    congrats!!