1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Prccgeek, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Prccgeek

I have been trying to do this for the past week and I finally did. I was going to tell my mom and dad at the same time, but my brother and my dad left for a soccer tournament so I decided I would just tell her.

We were out at dinner and she asked me what was going on. I don't her that I had something to tell her that I hadn't told her or my dad yet. This horrifying look came across her face so I immedietly and to calm her down and say that it wasn't a bad thing and that I was fine. Then I told her I thought I was bi. It was a little awkward and silent at the beginning, but she soon gave me the line "It doesn't change how I think of you, but I just don't want your life to be harder." Then she bombarded me with questions. All through dinner, all through shoppong (i needed some boots) and at home. I was glad that she was asking questions because I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable talking about it. however, it was really hard to let my constant habit of hinding all these fellings and to just talk openly. It was a bit overwelming. I think she would have gone on forever, but I went to take a nice long bath so I could just take a breath and reflect on everything that had just happened.

It will all turn out fine because my mom is very accepting of the whole gay thing. She has tons of gay students and school and she knows lots of parents who have gay children that she could talk to. I gave her full permission to talk about this with other people if you wanted.

I am proud of myself for doing it and happy that her reaction was pretty good, but I am not really feeling relieved. That closet that I felt was getting way to small now seems very cozy not cramped. I am feeling like I have butterflies in my stomach all the time and my gut feeling is to avoid my mom at all costs. However, I will not avoid her b/c it would make everything worse.
    I think it was just a sensory overload for both of us. (plus my mom and I don't really talk about anything so this talk was a huge deal) I am hoping that overtime I will feel better about it.

2. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

That is wonderful, congrats.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! Great that it went so well! :slight_smile:

4. adam88

It went for you pretty much as it did for me. Congrats. :slight_smile:

5. EM68

Congrats! I had sensory overload when I told my parents. It got better over time. :thumbsup:

6. mmilam75

Congratulations! My father passed away before I could tell him, but my mom does know about me...her reaction was honestly better than I could have hoped for, and it was super helpful in pushing me back along the road I am on, which is a great thing.

Congrats again!

7. fulofbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats!!!!

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Its so nice to hear that a parent wants to talk about things instead of going directly to that denial stage. Good for your mom and good for you!

9. x2x2x2x2y2

Congrats!!! and that feelings normal. just wait like a week and it should be gone. =)

10. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations ! I'm happy for you that your mum took it so well :slight_smile:

11. Ralivar

Congratulations. It's great that you told her, I still haven't managed to get the courage to tell my parents. It's great that she took it so well, and I hope that everyone else you tell takes it just as well.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    =) well done =)

13. knight of ni

Congratulations, its a big step to tell a parent! Don't worry about missing your cozy closet: that happened to me after I came out to my parents, too. The whole build-up to telling your parents--worrying about their reaction, planning what to say, anticipating questions they might have--is useful, but I think that sometimes it makes you nervous after you tell them, even if they react well, because having made all those plans, you still half-expect to need to use them.
    But the feeling soon goes away. Your mum is getting used to you being out, but you are still getting used to being out to her! Whenever you get nervous about it, remind yourself that she reacted well, and how glad you are that you are being open with your mother!
    Congratulations again!

14. Prccgeek

Thanks again you guys. It is all starting to get pretty normal again. It isn't completely comfortable yet. Like, if she brings it up, which is rare, she will refer to it as the thing you told me, instead of just saying that I am bi. It was really awkward the first few days after I told her b/c either we didn't talk or all she talked about was my sexuality. But I was hanging at my voice teacher's house, who is also very close to my mother, and she invited my mom to come over and hang out with us. I didn't want her to at the moment, but in the end it was a brilliant move. It got us talking about normal random stuff again and ever since then it hasn't been nearly as awkward.

15. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great that your mum is becoming increasingly comfortable.