1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homophobic best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Dec 10, 2009.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

where to start. Well after i was banned(you will find out later) i wanted to promise myself to come out to someone before i returned to EC. Idk why exactly i wanted to make this promise but i did. I never made the promise though, as i didnt exactly wanna force myself to come out to someone new in such a short time. i like to go with my gut. well a little over a week ago i came out to my best friend...whos homophobic and hates gays...and hes cool with me being gay. i know right, wtf?! heres the story: We were in my living room talking bout how we both hate to open up to people and we always keep stuff inside. i remember saying something like "if anyone knew my secret they could be against it and drop me." he got the hint. He has a bi friend and used her as an example: "i wouldnt drop someone as a friend for anything, if theyre a good friend. Like *bi friends name*, shes bi and i hate it and disagree, but i stay her friend cuz we're close and shes cool." GREENLIGHT!! i couldnt say my words so i decided to text them. i texted "well what if im like *bi friends name here*?". my heart was beating fast and my stomach turned. he texted back "haha i thought u were when u said people could drop u for it. but like i said im cool with it." :eusa_danc i was amazed. i NEVER thought he would stay my friend. i think the main reason he talks to his bi friend is cause hes in love with her. :lol: after that the usual happened. questions and more questions. between then and now he have had a few rough spots and almost completely cut each other off cause of all this BUT thankfully, as of now, we are doing AMAZINGLY well. he's even given his permission to let me say i guys hot, which is huge for him. lol just from opening up to him about one secret, i feel as though i trust him a million times more and now we even talk about tons of other stuff that we never would before. i think i made the right decision and dont regret it at all. since i came out to him i feel a bit more self confident and just over all more ok with myself. and even if he had pushed me away, atleast i would have been brave enough to come out and put my faith in someone. :slight_smile: SECOND ONE DOWN!!!! (!) (!) (!)

2. mmilam75

Congratulations on coming out to him, that's a very important first step. Maybe you can use this as a means of helping to challenge the stereotypes that your friend seems to find so hateful. I know the feeling of relief that can come from coming out to a friend, so you should be happy for yourself that you took this step :slight_smile:

3. x2x2x2x2y2

thanks im definantly happy. and yeah i really hope this helps open his eyes and that he sees were not all like the stereotypes! =)

4. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Well done. :slight_smile: One more down loads more to go! Its good that he still want to be your friend even though he is homophobic! I think attitudes change in some people when there best friend is something they done really like.

5. Jamieftm

Wow congrats. Thats amazing that you came out to him. I have/had a christian friend who is strongly against gays, and when i decided to tell her, i first asked her what she thought about gays and she said "i dont know" so later on i asked her again and she said "i dont know" so then i just blerted it out and said "well, im a lesbian" and she gave me a weird look, she started feeling uncomfortable. So i told her "hate the sin, not the sinner" and after that we stopped talking, she always seems uncomfortable around me, so i dont really talk to her much. Anyway, congrats again. Good luck coming out to others =3

6. Aoifeee

Awwwwwesome! :grin: I'm so happy for you! A friend of mine is "homophobic" too but she doesn't have a problem with me...It's good there are people that can see you for who you are not just for who you like! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. EM68

Congrats on coming out to your friend. Maybe him knowing and accepting you will make him less homophobic.