1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow'd By Aunt

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Swamp56, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

My dad told my aunt months ago about my sexuality (I really didn't care if he did or not). She was fine with it. When I spoke to her in September or October, she went on about how she doesn't care about my sexuality and that she has 3 gay nieces/nephews in California.

Now, typically this wouldn't be odd. Thing is, she's ~67 years and and very religious. She originally was Catholic, but moved to another church, and is now following a Baptist Minister where she lives in Missouri (she lived for 20 years in Texas).

So, I had to do a psych project in which I had to interview 3 people over the age of 63 and ask them various questions. I decided to phone her up and do an interview.

During the interview, we started getting on the subject of sexuality and marriage. She, a very religious elderly woman, flat out told me that religion should play no part in marriage, and marriage is up to the 2 people in the relationship. She basically told me she's pro gay marriage.

I just find it amazing that a woman of both her age and religiousness would be so accepting. She went on to tell me how she loves people of all different ethnicities and races (she's lived in 3 diff countries due to having a husband in the military), and how she wants peace in the world.

I was....wow'd.

2. revolutionrock

I feel like a lot of older people are accepting just because they really know a lot. I'm sure that is not true in all cases, but many seem to really know what is important in life.

Right-on to your aunt, and congrats to you for having such a supportive person in your life. :slight_smile:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My experience is that older *intelligent* people are very accepting because they've come to understand the complexities of life and that many of the things we've been taught about culture are political, not practical.

How lucky you are to have such a wonderful and wise aunt!

4. RaeofLite

I think things change for the older generations when they have a relative who they love and know. It forces them to assess their beliefs (religious or otherwise) and in the end many would choose the relative since they're a good person over their beliefs. Not all, but in cases like this, the result is positive. :slight_smile:

Congrats for having such a nice aunt.

5. x2x2x2x2y2

thats pretty awesome!! Congrats on having a cool aunt!!

6. Jim1454

that's awesome!

7. bkwrm175

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome!

At our Christmas Eve dinner, my grandma pulled me aside and told me about a magazine article that she had read (about a transgendered woman), that had made her understand some things about me. My respect level for her went through the roof!

Congrats on having such an amazing person in your life!

8. Rygirl

Props to your aunt, I wish my reletives were so understanding.