1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by RaeofLite, Dec 14, 2009.

?

When/Where did you come out to the most people?

1. During a Holiday (ie: Christmas, Easter, Halloween, your country's holiday etc)

7 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. In a vehicle

8 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. At school/on campus

24 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. In a letter/email/Instant Message

35 vote(s)
    28.9%
  5. Other

26 vote(s)
    21.5%
  6. I just changed my style/look and people I know started clueing in

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. I haven't really come out yet, but I will!

15 vote(s)
    12.4%
  1. RaeofLite

When did you come out (to the most people)?

2. It's always been in a car. Weird.

3. AllSmiles

Well, of the three people I've come out to, two of them were on MSN. The 3rd (my mom) was face to face on a normal evening

4. UserName

Meh I just put the instant messaging option, it was text messages though, but the closest thing I could pick :-o

5. paco

paco Guest

for me it was mostly face to face, and mostly happened while i was in their or my room.

although my very first was over the phone on new years eve. it was my new years resolution this year. yay for me!

6. Courtneyyy

One and a half drunk- he asked if he could tell his boyfriend, and then at a later date when we were drunk the boyfriend brought it up with me

and one via a text message

7. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Mine have usually been on the Internet (well, except for my family, which was in person). I told my mom in her room, my dad in the living room, and my brother while I was playing video games. I told my mom about 2 months after I started questioning, and then my brother after I'd finally accepted myself, and then finally my dad after about 4 more months.

The biggest coming-out letter I wrote (it was on Facebook and I sent it to just about all of my close friends) actually took place at 10 pm the night before a HUGE project was due in my lit class, so I knew all of them would be online procrastinating. Strangely, the fact that I was doing something I really didn't want to do to avoid doing something that I really really didn't want to do was kind of the only way I could force myself into it. So for the first time, procrastination worked for me! :lol: This occured almost exactly six months after I came to terms with my sexuality.

Other coming-outs have been a little more interesting--two of them were via text message (one of which read word-for-word "Hey, guess what? I'm a lesbian!").

#7 Katherine, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  8. Adam

The first 3 people I told in person was in my car but different times lol

9. x2x2x2x2y2

well when i came out to my mom, it was a week after my birthday. I considered telling her on my birthday but it didnt feel right.

10. mmilam75

See, for me, it was a mix - the people who have been constant in my life, I took them out for lunch or coffee so they would hear directly from me and have the chance to talk to me, ask me questions, etc. The folks that I couldn't get together with because of work schedules, traveling distance, etc., I came out to them in an e-mail. I don't do the IM or text thing...e-mail tends to be the default if I have to write a letter to someone.

11. calstad

so far i'v only come out to one person which happened to be my friends wife on face book. the only reason i did it on facebook is cause im not in my home country and i really felt like i needed to tell someone soon, so yeah.. i still need to come out to everyone when i get home in 4 months.. im sort of anxious about it..

12. RaeofLite

I came out to a couple friends to make sure I had support first. But after Easter, the news was out. Easter 2009 was my time. :grin:

13. kettleoffish

I told a few friends at school and it sort of spread.. 12 year olds clearly aren't so good at the whole 'secret-keeping' thing.

14. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Random conversations in school corridors that ends up with me blurting it out, or MSN. Same story as school. :grin:

15. jazzrawr

If Facebook doesn't count, then face to face at school. I'm really open about it, actually, so whoever didn't know would figure it out by listening to about 10 seconds of a conversation I was involved in, and eventually I'd make a lesbian joke about myself. :slight_smile:

16. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

at school. and when i came out..i really came out. i told everyone in like 2 days and then 3 years later i told my family.

17. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    The first group I came out to were my fraternity brothers, at a house meeting, to all 34 of them. 2 or 3 knew before hand, but still, it was a lot of people and I hope I don't have to tell that many people who are so important in my life at the same time ever again, talk about stressor working up to it.

18. s5m1

Wow! That was a really ballsy move, coming out to the whole house. Good for you!

19. olides84

This, usually with alcohol fueling the conversation :grin:

20. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never really came out.

I just lived my life and those around me figured it out for themselves.