1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

told mom...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by if i had a dime, Dec 23, 2009.

1. if i had a dime

I came out to my mom tonight I have been planning on doing it for like the past 2 weeks and finally did it, we were on the way home from Christmas shopping and I told her.She said she stilled loved me and I'm her daughter but that she didn't "understand" it like how I know I'm gay and I can't explain it to her in a way that she will understand. I have NO idea what to think of this reaction. I know it might take time but this wasn't what I was accepting at all I guess Im just glad I did it.:confused:

2. mydogstewie

Good job coming out to you mom, the hardest thing to do -hugz-

3. x2x2x2x2y2

Congrats!! Although it wasnt exactly the best reaction, it was still a good one. I would show her the PFLAG(i think thats what its called) website. It would help her understand a bit more.

4. mischa91

Congrats.

5. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Sounds like your mother took it very well! My dad said that he didn't understand being gay when I came out, but that he loves me and is happy for me. I think it's just difficult for them to understand how you could like someone of the same-sex in a romantic way. (Just like I don't understand why straight guys are attracted to women.)

Anyways, congrats, good luck, and be patient with your mother! :grin:

6. Mister Gaga

It's nice to hear, I'am happy for you =D

7. RaeofLite

PFLAG (a support group) or books on coming out might be your best bet if she 's having troubles understanding it. If you really want to get into detail, just tell her, when she looks at a man and gets all "hot" and "wow, he's really amazing" that you think the same way about women. I don't know if all children can talk this way to their parents but if you think they can then I'd give it a shot.

Good luck and congrats on coming out, it's not easy (especially to major people in your life). :slight_smile:

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    PFLAG is a wonderful resource for parents. Here is the website. www.pflag.org They also have information there that you can download and give to your parents. Congrats on coming out! It sounds like things will be fine. :slight_smile:

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your mum! It's great that you could come out. Something to be proud of! :slight_smile:

As others have mentioned, try giving your mum some PFLAG material or perhaps even try getting her the book "Now that you know," which does a pretty good job in answering parent's questions.

Also, let your mum know that you do would like for her to talk to you if she has any questions or just wants reassurances. Things will be fine!

10. Zume

Grats :slight_smile: atleast you got a better response from yours than I got from mine.. but like it has been suggested already I got my parents the "Now that you know," book..it's helped a great deal.