1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to tell friends from college?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by drake86, Dec 30, 2009.

1. drake86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I have a bunch of friends from college that I want to tell but I don't know how. I graduated last year and we now live all over the country. I don't think I want them to find out through word of mouth and kind of feel like I should send them a letter via email. I hope this is a good option because this really is going to be the final step next to telling my parents.

2. flymetothemoon

I'd say email is a fine option. If they're all over the country I'm sure they will understand that you couldn't tell them face to face, but you didn't want them to just find out from word of mouth either, you wanted it to come from you.

3. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    When I told my best friends from home, I wrote them a letter and sent it by email. I feel that it helped a ton being able to write everything out and fully come out to them in the letter. I think they were absolutely fine too with the fact that I chose to come out to them by letter rather than in person. Putting the reason in your letter I think can help with that.

4. Stephen505

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't know your full situation and such.. I'd just say I personally try to avoid e-mails/letters (I hate non-instant messaging lol). I mean, I DO prefer to do things over the internet as opposed to in person sometimes, but in those scenarios I'd always use some form of instant messaging. I find that using e-mails to discuss something where MANY questions and discussions will arise is very.. messy.. and impersonal (it's more of a "here's some info" than an actual talk). In my experiences, it's caused quite a bit of confusion and misunderstandings. Again, I don't know your friends; if you guys usually talk through e-mail a lot, I'm sure it'll be fine, but in my opinion at least instant messaging seems a bit more personal. Good luck!

5. mmilam75

As was said above, it depends on how you communicate with them. If you communicate with them normally by e-mail, it should be OK. The people I've come out to via e-mail are people I e-mailed back and forth with frequently. I'd suggest giving another contact option and inviting questions, if they have them - that way, you leave the door open for whatever type of contact they want to make once they read the e-mail.

Good luck!