1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

okay so...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by atofu, Dec 31, 2009.

1. atofu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    heya :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: i realised that i haven't posted here in a long while but anyways:
    so literally just minutes ago i decided to come out to my parents, they seemed a bit surprised and stuff but when i did they just kept saying "don't be so sure, you might change"
    does that mean they haven't accepted it yet? (i know the obvious answer is to ask them right now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but i'm not very close to my parents and i find talking to them about personal stuff like this really awkward)
    also... what happens now? my sister will probably find out soon but i'm kinda lost what to do now that i've told them >.>

2. Stephen505

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was actually in the exact same situation, too. I also don't talk to my parents much... So ya, my mom started with the usual "How do you know?!", then once we got passed that she went to the "But you might change! You've never had a girlfriend!", what kinda .. scared me a little was she went as far as to basically say: "I'll find you a girlfriend and just try it and you'll see that you like it!" :|

That was a few months ago. Nothing really happened other than her randomly reminding me every once in a while that she doesn't understand what I meant and she kept asking if I was going to change. Now we're back to our usual.. little communication (which is normal lol).

Basically, just make sure they DO understand everything you said, and in the best case scenario they're just feeling the: "I don't want you to have a hard/weird life with people discriminating you", in which case you need to just establish that you CAN live a normal life and if someone discriminates (school/work/outings) THEY are in the wrong, not you.. and at least, myself personally, it wouldn't even bother me if people insulted me.

So ya, they might have accepted it, but think it's easy to change and it would make your life easier OR they think you're too young to know/are in a phase.

3. atofu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    hehe thanks for the reply~!

Yeah i think they think that it's just a phase and i'm too young too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but i think they understand what i said etc.
    hopefully all things will go back to normal soon :slight_smile: