1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens next?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by drake86, Jan 3, 2010.

1. drake86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have come out to four people and I have kind of come to the point where I'm like, if not today then when... I feel like this isnt something that I should put off and what is the difference if someone knows today or a month from now. Did anyone else feel like this and did you come out faster afterwards.

2. HackmanWIU

I did it my parents, sister one day, friends the next. It really doesn't matter how or when you do it, it only matters how you feel afterwards. The more that knew the better I felt.

3. Zume

I personally hid for 11 years.. once I told my friend then I told my parents, sisters and now anyone who asks/the rest of my friends.. their reactions may have some impact on how you feel about it but if they aren't totally accepting..don't let that deter you. It was a bit strange at first but after a while i have felt better than ever.

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely a feeling I had when I started coming out. After being closeted for so long, and then finally getting a taste of being open, it felt constraining to have people around who didn't know. I quickly started losing my patience with the "pronoun games" and the elaborate topic shifts to keep my sexuality hidden.

On the other hand, I never really came to the point where I started telling people just to get it over with. I just became more and more likely to come out whenever the topic seemed somewhat relevant (like when talking about relationships and dating). I wouldn't say I came out faster, but it certainly became a lot easier to see an opening for coming out and using it.

There is no right speed, tough. If you feel like you would feel better coming out quickly, then it's probably the right thing to do!

5. Yannee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I tried telling one friend at a time, but after having a couple of extremely awkward moments of coming out (I'm not good at telling people about personal things) I decided I was tired of it, wrote a blog entry where I outed myself and send my remaining friends a group message telling them to go read it. So yeah, I picked up the speed considerably after couple of friends :slight_smile: Took almost two months to write the blog entry, though... but I felt really good after doing it!

6. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    I've been told that my coming out has gone really quickly. I first started telling people in November, and that includes my fraternity brothers, my friends in college, my friends back home, and my sister. Now all that's left are my parents. I plan to tell them soon too.
    Sometimes it feels like everything is happening really fast. I think the main reason for it though is that I want to find someone to have a relationship with and I want to be out before I let that happen. Lol, my desire to have a boyfriend or at least to start looking for one is pushing me all the time to come out faster and faster to everyone I know. Strangely, sometimes it feels like I don't have a boyfriend because I haven't come out enough yet... hmm.