1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out as a PFLAG Mom!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by beckyg, Aug 21, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So for years I've been contemplating putting the fact that I volunteer with PFLAG on my child care website. Yesterday, I did it. This is what I wrote:

I have served on the board and now as President of PFLAG Central Oregon for over three years. PFLAG is an acronym for Parents, Families, and Friends, of Lesbians and Gays. (www.pflag.org) God blessed me with a son who was born different and I do everything in my power to work for social justice and to end discrimination based on sexual orientation. PFLAG provides support, we educate, and we advocate on behalf of our gay and lesbian loved ones. I have so much passion for this work and know I will be involved for a very long time. My hope is that if any of my daycare children should be gay or lesbian, that laws will be in place to protect them. If you want any information on PFLAG, sexual orientation, or have any question regarding my work with this, please ask. I know this is a controversial issue and a hot topic in the news right now. Occasionally you will see my name in the newspaper or you might see me on TV. If any of this makes you feel uncomfortable, then this might not be the place for you or your children. I’m very proud of the work that I do and someday feel that society will look back on this civil rights debate and wonder what all the controversy was about. I’ve made many gay and lesbian friends and they are really no different than you or I except in who they love. I am open and honest about who I am and that is why I share this with you now.

I think all of my daycare parents that I have now, know. In fact, several of them I have spoken to about it. One even told me how proud she was of me. I'm probably not going to attract any right-wingers because of this but who wants them anyway? <grin>

2. CrimsonThunder

Good work becky! *gives you a big hug*

3. Tom

Tom Guest

yup gr8 work, hope there r ppl in uk tht are doing the same and tom we seem 2 read the same things!

4. CrimsonThunder

You are stalking me. =P Nah we're just so simliar. <3

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Excellent Becky! It'll be interesting to hear what (if any) reactions you get as a result of this.

6. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If only all parents were like you Becky.:thumbsup:

I envy your son.(&&&)

7. jroakwood

love ya becky. =)

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think Becky is everyone's favourite mum here! (*hug*)

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    OK Paul, aren't I the ONLY mom here? LOL

10. Jim1454

Regardless - you're still the favourite! (As well as the favorite! :icon_wink )

I think its great that you're being open about this. And for those crazy right wing parents that take offence... well just let them TRY to find a better child care environment for their little one! :thumbsup:

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In some ways your "coming out" as a PFLAG Mum is similar to our coming out as gay. There are many of the same considerations about how it will be accepted, what effect it will have etc.

12. Tom

Tom Guest

i know my mum had a few troubles when she told friends i was gay, seein as some are major homphobes and they strangely havent visited yet we did get on well and i wasnt actin any different 2 normal and i agree coolest mum here! im gesin u joined to get in touch with the people your tryin 2 help, how many politicians can you think of tht wud do that??? and hope tlkin 2 the amazin ppl here has helped u understand ur son more cus i know my parents took ages 2 come 2 terms with it well woteva ur reasons 2 join im only gessin im sure there amazin reasons and like i sed b4, keep up the gd work! and move 2 uk and fight for us here =p

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well the reason I joined PFLAG was because my son told me about it and said he'd met another mom that he thought I would enjoy talking with. So I met the mom and she invited me to a meeting. My son had gone to one meeting before I went. I think that I have learned through EC just how very terrified everybody is to come out especially to parents. Yes Paul, parents come out too and grandparents. I remember my mom telling her sister just a few days after Adam came out. The sister told her that she knew for a long time that Adam was gay. (gaydar?) She has many gay friends, loves gay people, and has a brother-in-law who is gay. These things aren't shared unless we talk about it.

14. paul7836

My mom is not believing me since i told her i am gay. Its getting really awkward between us. do you think it would help her to get in touch with the local pflag, maybe to find another mom that has gone through the same thing?

15. Sam

Sam

wow thats great beckyg!

16. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Good for you Becky! I know all of us are very proud to have someone like you on our side.

17. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes, of course. I would definitely go to the PFLAG website and see if there is a chapter near you. If there is, you can mention it to your mom. If groups scare her, it might help to talk to another mom just like I did. You can call the infoline and ask for that and I'm sure somebody would be willing.

18. paul7836

theres one near me. I think ill give it a try. its better than all this distance.

19. TriBi

Hey - well done becky!

Hope the responses are all positive (but, if they aren't, I suspect it will be good for you to know the "prejudiced" ones anyway :wink:).

20. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I see it as drawing to me the people I WANT to be around not the people that I don't.