1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting 2010 on a high note

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Flare, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Flare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I’d been trying to come out to one of my best friends for ages. He studies drama and is around lots of gay people so I've known for a while that he most likely wouldn't care as he's very open and liberal. During last summer we had spent lots of times together just me and him but I could never get the words out. Everytime I would try and bring it up I would back out at the last minute. Then on New Year’s Eve, me and about four of my close friends all went out in town (I had only come out to one in the past.) I got into my head that it would be a good time to tell someone tonight whilst people were a bit drunk and happy lol.

We were sat in a bar and I was laughing at something which I can’t even remember now. My best friend was sitting next to me but for some reason he text me saying “what’s funny?” Instead of telling him what was funny, I replied “just what I wanna tell you.” He replied back with a “?” so I told him to think about it and then we left it at that.

Later on we had moved to another bar and we were sat together just me and him. I asked him if he had worked out what I was talking about earlier. He said "I feel like there is something unsaid between us" but that he wasn't going to say anything because it was for me to say. I agreed and said I would try tell him later on once I’d had a few more drinks (bit pointless really as I knew he knew at this point.) Then he leaned in to my ear and just said “or maybe we’re such good friends that nothing needs to be said.” That actually choked me up a bit and I nodded and we had a big hug.

Later on we were sat together and I asked him if we were good. He said definitely and that he knew I’d tried to tell him about 10 times in the past. I was like “why didn’t you help me out then?” and he said he felt like it was my thing to tell and not for him to try force out. We hugged again and I told him I knew he wouldn't mind but for some reason couldn't tell him for so long. He replied saying he honestly didn't care one bit and that I was stupid to worry.

Another of my really good friends came over at this point and sat with us. She wanted to know what we were talking about and I was like "oh nothing". My best friend said I should just tell her but I once again just couldn’t say it for some reason. I got my phone out and wrote in a text “You’ve worked it out about me right?” and then showed her the screen. She looked a bit confused at first but then said “is it what I think it is?” I replied saying it most likely was. She then gave me a big hug too and said “Oh I don't care about that. I still love ya!”

I've been feeling quite euphoric ever since and also very stupid for worrying and waiting so long to tell them. It feels like a huge deal before you tell close friends but it really isn't. It was the perfect way to enter 2010. :slight_smile:

2. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Brilliant.

It's amazing how before you tell people it seems like such a huge deal. I almost want people to get upset to justify me not telling anyone:icon_wink. Congratulations!

3. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's amazing! I'v been trying to get my room mate to drink a little with me so i'll be more comfortable to tell him but he's always so damn busy lol.
    That's great! I mean you didnt really say it, and I guess you didnt have to. Personally i'v found that I need to talk about it with the people I come out to, otherwise i end up hiding it again, so then what's the point? lol but that's just me!
    Congrats! Great start to 2010!

4. Jim1454

Congratulations!

You don't necessarily need to consume alcohol to tell you're friends that you're gay, but what ever works for you is good.

5. mischa91

Congratulations. its good to hear your friends are so accepting.

great start to the year.

6. Flare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

Haha I know the feeling. When they shrug it off like it's no big deal even though you've been fretting about it for months!

Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely hoping to keep up conversations so it doesn't just become something unsaid again otherwise it would have all been pointless. Maybe just throwing in the odd comment so it doesn't become all about that though. Good luck with your roommate!

Oh I agree. We hadn't had a lot which was important as I didn't want him to not remember the conversation. Just enough to loosen up a bit I guess and lose some inhibitions. :slight_smile:

7. RaeofLite

You are a new hero of mine. :slight_smile: I love reading positive stories like this. ^_^

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! Coming out without actually having to say the words is pretty awesome! :slight_smile:
    Glad that your friends are so accepting and supportive.

9. Flare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all your kind words. :slight_smile: Very appreciated and I hope it may inspire some other people because reading all the stories on here definitely inspired me.

10. Flare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a little update on this. I sent him a message on Facebook because we never got to speak again after that night. His reply made me smile. :slight_smile: (I've turned our names into letters. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)