1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally - letter to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Ander Blue, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    Dear Mom,

I’ve written you this letter because I have something very important to tell you and I don’t think I’d be able to do it justice if I were to attempt it in person. I ask that you read through this whole letter before you try to talk to me, and please come to me first after you’ve finished it. Thank you Mom, this means a lot to me.

I love you Mom, around the world infinity times to heaven and back infinity times. I never want to do something that would hurt you or lose your respect. I’m afraid though Mom. I’m afraid that what I need to tell you in this letter will do just that. I don’t want to harm you, but I can’t live with this hidden under wraps anymore. I have to tell you, and I have to deal with the consequences of it, no matter how great or small they may be.

The thing is Mom, I’m not going to be able to be your dream child. I’m not going to have the pretty future that you and Aunt Willow paint for me whenever we all get together. I’ll never find that perfect girl, the girl whose life I’d fill with happiness. I won’t because it simply can’t happen. It would be a lie, and because it’s a lie, neither of us could be happy. It’s a lie because I could never be able to be happy with her, I could never love her. It’s a lie because of what I am, and what I am is gay. It would be worse than awful for me to pretend that I could be happy with her. It could never happen and I would ruin both our lives trying.

This may be shocking to finally hear me say it, and I’m sorry if it is. But I have to say it. I have felt though over this break that you may know this about me already. The day that you brought up Annah in the car, I felt like you knew and were testing me. I answered your questions and comments with cold retorts, simply saying no to each. Each time I denied a possibility of Annah and I being a thing, I thought I read on you that you already knew this, that you were just testing the waters. The same goes for Sydney’s friend Alex. I couldn’t understand why you were talking with me about how she was cute. I was lost and felt bare. I thought you knew about me and that this was your way of prodding me into the open. Well it worked. Even if this wasn’t your intention, I’ve been planning to tell you sometime over break. I’ve chosen to tell you though, because I think that you can accept it, or at least do so over time. You know lots of other homosexuals, and I’ve seen you act nothing but pleasantly towards them, if not lovingly. GG’s caretakers in Florida, MJ, and possibly even Uncle Tim (sorry if I’m dead wrong on this one, but that’s the impression that I’ve always got) are all people in your life that I see you happy with. I trust that my telling you can come out for the better.

I’ve gone through a good portion of my life confused. It was in high school when I first started becoming aware of my interest in men. At the time, I was disgusted by it. I held the idea that homosexuality was a perversion and that people were homosexual because they were sexually crazed and couldn’t settle with the norm. It was an awful state of mind to have, and it helped to fuel a lot of self loathing. I grew out of that though and started to be more accepting and understanding of homosexuality. I was under the impression though that it was a choice, so I tried my hardest to choose being straight. I didn’t want to be gay so I tried to hide everything about me that may have suggested it. I also tried to have relationships with girls – to see if I could kick-start some sort of attraction. This lasted up till this past year and four girls late I started questioning my certainty in being bi.

I decided to write out why I was worried about my sexuality. What was I afraid of, why did I want to be straight, what would happen if I was gay? The biggest things out of all these were that I was afraid of being looked down upon, I wanted to have a child from the person I loved, but I knew that happiness for me was only waiting with another man. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about these and have reconciled with all of them. I would rather be hated for who I am, than loved for what I’m not. For a family, surrogacy allows for a lot of options and science is getting better every day, so in that there is hope. Also, happiness is my goal in live and I’d love to find it with the one I love.

I started my coming out process in November. At the time, I had another semi-closeted brother in the fraternity who was also going through the process. We’ve worked together on a lot of things and helped each other to get over the hard emotional road blocks that pop up here and there. Since then I have told my fraternity brothers, some of my friends from school, Baily, my friends from home and my exes, Hillary and Jessica. I’ve had a lot of help from an online support website which has been a wonderful part of my life, really helping to understand myself and my feelings better. They have tons of resources and know a lot about PFLAG too so if you want more info, just ask me for it. Basically, my coming out process has been amazing. I haven’t had problems coming out to people, but then again eventually it will happen and I just have to deal with it as best I can and accept it.

I want to remind you, Mom, that I love you. I want you to know this about me, and I hope you can be accepting. If that’s difficult for you though, I can understand. I still love you, and I’m still the same old Chaz. You just know a bit more about me now.

LYATWITTHABIT
    Chaz
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know of anything that strikes you as odd or wierd - I'm totally up for constructive criticism.

Here's my plan (also known as Operation: Blow Up Closet): I wait till I have time alone with her, give her a big hug, hand her the letter, disappear for a short while giving her time alone without distraction to read the letter, return with hot tea or coffee, give another big hug (hopefully), proceed to talk about this whole scenario and let crazy emotional chaos ensue...

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the letter. It touches on the important things (when you realised you were gay, how you now accept it, that you tell her because you love her and want to be honest with her... all the way to what awesome people we are :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Also good that you're never apologetic about it. One of the big things to avoit is giving the impression that you feel bad about being gay. But I don't see any of that here...

So I'd say go for it! You already have all the answers, and I'm sure that she'll be accepting. Let us know how it goes!

3. KittyBoy

I quite loved it^^ I didn't notice anything out of the ordninary, but that is probably just me. Good luck with the letter^^!

4. Ben

Ben

Aaww that's wonderful. I'm sure your mum will be awesome with it! =)

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It is a great letter and I agree with what has been mentioned above. May I make a couple of suggestions? Please feel free to ignore them. :slight_smile:

Reading through it, I would rewrite the following part:

One gets a sense of 'negativity' to it in that you are saying that you can never be your mum's dream child and that you are not going to have a pretty future. I would put it in a more positive light. In other words, you could for example say, "I hope you can have new dreams for me, dreams that will mean more because they might come true in some form. I am still going to have a pretty future. I don't want to create false hopes or hopes based on lies...."

I would also re-write this part in the forth paragraph:

I would preface highlights of particular events that made you feel in particular 'awkward' with more general statements. She might feel guilty afterward for having mentioned the girls and comments on how cute they are. I think it would be good if you could avoid that. You are coming out to her and want her to know the real you without feeling guilty afterward. She might still feel something and bring it up herself, but I wouldn't necessarily place an emphasis on it. Maybe rewrite that part to make it a bit more subtle and link it back to the next sentence:

You could for example re-write it to include: "I had the feeling that you were testing me on a couple of occasions but I was never sure. I've been planning to tell you...." or "A few times when we were talking about girls, I wanted to tell you but couldn't."

And maybe at the end, I would start the last paragraph simply with "Mom, I love you...."

But I think it is is a great letter and I wish you all the best! Hope it goes well for you.

6. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

The letter seems great! I don't envy you though, that's going to be a really hard couple of minutes while you let her read the letter :slight_smile:.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to write almost exactly what Mirko wrote.

You *are* still her "dream child"... and you can do everything she wants and dreams of, just with a guy instead of a girl. :slight_smile: So... love yourself and believe in your mom enough to believe that she will love you and don't focus on what would be a lie, instead focus on what your truth is :slight_smile:

8. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The letter is really great chaz! There were a few things that could be fixed, but if you proof read the letter you'll probably see them... Like at one point you say live instead of life. things like that. But other than that and the advice people have already given you, this is a really nice letter! I might steal somethings from that first paragraph because i'm lame and didnt leave my parents the letter yet.

Oh, and dont say Mom so much lol. In the beginning you said it soo much.

#8 zzzero, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2010
  9. Sicsemper79

My own opinion, but I would tell her why you are writing the letter (i like guys mom) in the first or second paragraph. You don't want her to think you are killing yourself...

It is a wonderful letter though. I hope that she takes it with as much love and it took to write it.

10. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice job. Love conquers all. Im proud that you are not afraid to be YOU. Your mom is lucky to have you as a son. matt

11. Ander Blue

thank you all for your support and help. I should be able to give her the new version as soon as I have her alone to myself. I couldn't figure out a way to make it not sound like a suicide letter, so I'm planning to just tell her outright that this is not one - that I had some people close to me look over this before hand and warn me that it could be construed that way.

Also, Taylor, feel absolutely free to use whatever you want from it. One of the reasons I put my letters up on EC is to give people more templates and examples to look at. I have used EC a lot for inspiration in writing my letters - so I feel it's only fair to return the favor. :grin:

So yah - maybe I can get her at lunch tomorrow???

12. Ander Blue

oh, and here's the revised bit - overall it's still pretty similar...

Dear Mom,

I’ve written you this letter because I have something very important to tell you and I don’t think I’d be able to do it justice if I were to attempt it in person. I ask that you read through this whole letter before you try to talk to me, and please come to me first after you’ve finished it. Thank you Mom, this means a lot to me.

I love you Mom, around the world infinity times to heaven and back infinity times. I never want to do something that would hurt you or lose your respect. I’m afraid though. I’m afraid that what I need to tell you in this letter will do just that. I don’t want to harm you, but I can’t live with this hidden under wraps anymore. I have to tell you, and I have to deal with the consequences of it, no matter how great or small they may be.

The thing is, I’m not going to be able to be the dream child with the pretty future that you and Aunt Willow paint for me whenever we all get together. I’ll never find that perfect girl, the girl whose life I’d fill with happiness. I won’t because of what I am, and what I am is gay. A wife isn’t in my future for the sake of my own happiness and sanity. I hope though that you can still have dreams for me, pretty ones that now can have a hope of coming true. I still want to be your dream child too, but this aspect of me has to be something that’s taken into consideration. I want to achieve what you dream for me, but I can’t do that if it requires my lying to myself.

This may be shocking to finally hear me say it, and I’m sorry if it is. But I have to say it. I have felt though over this break that you may know this about me already. You’ve brought up conversations a few times that made me wonder at how much you knew or were guessing at. Sometimes it felt as if you were just testing the waters, seeing if I was ready to tell you the truth. It made me thing that you knew about me and that that was your way of encouraging me to come out. It’s worked. Even if this wasn’t your intention, I’ve wanted to tell you sometime over break. I thought you knew about me and that this was your way of prodding me into the open. Well it worked. Even if this wasn’t your intention, I’ve been planning to tell you sometime over break. I’ve chosen to tell you though, because I think that you can accept it, or at least do so over time. You know lots of other homosexuals, and I’ve seen you act nothing but pleasantly towards them, if not lovingly. GG’s caretakers in Florida, MJ, and possibly even Uncle Tim (sorry if I’m dead wrong on this one, but that’s the impression that I’ve always got) are all people in your life that I see you happy with. I trust that my telling you can come out for the better.

I’ve gone through a good portion of my life confused. It was in high school when I first started becoming aware of my interest in men. At the time, I was disgusted by it. I held the idea that homosexuality was a perversion and that people were homosexual because they were sexually crazed and couldn’t settle with the norm. It was an awful state of mind to have, and it helped to fuel a lot of self loathing. I grew out of that though and started to be more accepting and understanding of homosexuality. I was under the impression though that it was a choice, so I tried my hardest to choose being straight. I didn’t want to be gay so I tried to hide everything about me that may have suggested it. I also tried to have relationships with girls – to see if I could kick-start some sort of attraction. This lasted up till this past year and four girls later I started questioning my certainty in being bisexual.

I decided to write out why I was worried about my sexuality. What was I afraid of, why did I want to be straight, what would happen if I was gay? The biggest things out of all these were that I was afraid of being looked down upon, I wanted to have a child from the person I loved, but I knew that happiness for me was only waiting with another man. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about these and have reconciled with all of them. I would rather be hated for who I am, than loved for what I’m not. For a family, surrogacy allows for a lot of options and science is getting better every day, so in that there is hope. Also, happiness is my goal in life and I’d love to find it with the one I love.

I started my coming out process in November. At the time, I had another semi-closeted brother in the fraternity who was also going through the process. We’ve worked together on a lot of things and helped each other to get over the hard emotional road blocks that pop up here and there. Since then I have told my fraternity brothers, some of my friends from school, Baily, my friends from home and my exes, Hillary and Jessica. I’ve had a lot of help from an online support website which has been a wonderful part of my life, really helping to understand myself and my feelings better. They too have tons of resources and know a lot about PFLAG (a support group for parents of homosexual children) so if you want more info, just ask me for it. Basically, my coming out process has been amazing. I haven’t had problems coming out to people, but then again eventually it will happen and I just have to deal with it as best I can and accept it.

Mom, I love you. I want you to know this about me, and I hope you can be accepting. If that’s difficult for you though, I can understand. I still love you, and I’m still the same old Chaz. You just know a bit more about me now.

LYATWITTHABIT
    Chaz

13. Sicsemper79

LOL, I certainly didn't mean to say that it sounded like a suicide letter! It is a beautifully written letter that comes from the heart. Be very confidant that she will take it as such. Good luck buddy! Its going to be great!!!! :thumbsup:

14. Mickey

I think it's a wonderful letter. I wish you all the best. Those of us who have "been there,done that",know right where you're at. And I agree,your mom is lucky to have such a great son!
    Please let us know how it goes,we care. Even though I haven't been around here as much as I used to be,I'll definitely be here to see how things went for you.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like this better, but i'd suggest you consider taking it a step further:

Maybe change this:
    To something more like this:
    It says the same thing, but spins it a lot more positively. You're almost setting up the letter to *make* her feel bad, and if you frame it like you are confident that you can be happy and successful, she will be much more likely to accept and be comfortable with it, because it's more clear that *you* are.

It's a subtle difference, but I think it's an important one. I'd suggest you give it some thought :slight_smile:

16. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I guess Chip beat me to it already! :slight_smile:

But yeah, I would have the same suggestion. Try to phrase your paragraphs in a way that will not leave your mum feeling bad afterward. This is the last thing you want when you do come out to her. Your letter should have a positive tone throughout because you want your mum to listen to that positive tone. This is what will allow her to see that everything will be okay! :slight_smile:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

17. Ander Blue

Altered:
    Thank you all for the help! Chip and Mirko, I really appreciate it. Having the written example helps a lot. Oh, and JC you weren't the only one - one of my friends looked at it and thought it was a suicide not too, lol. Wait that's not funny.... um anywho, I just called my mom and arranged a lunch thingy for today at a quarter to 12. We're ordering out, so I'll lead her back to our house to eat it. Then, DUN DUN DUN! I'll give her the letter, high tail it for some coffee, then be back with a cupa joe for both of us while things get interesting... Thanks for the luck!

18. RaeofLite

I wish you the very best Ander. She may be supportive, she may not understand, but she's your mother. And it's always best to be honest with your family. :slight_smile:

(*hug*) Good luck.

19. olides84

Ooh Chaz, good luck with lunch (*hug*) Let us know how it goes!

20. Flare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck! It's a really well-written letter and I hope she reacts positively.