1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are You Out To Your Doctor?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Sylver, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Sylver

So last month I went to my doctor for a regular physical. Conversation during the examination;

Doc: How's your mother? (he's the doctor for most of my family members)
    Me: She's doing alright.
    Doc: Are you in a relationship with anyone right now?
    Me: No.
    Doc: Are you gay?
    Me: (pause) ... Yes.
    Doc: OK. (scribbles notes into my file)

This really caught me off guard. I'm glad that I've come to terms enough with my homosexuality to answer the question like I did, but I was shocked that he asked. I never expected this to be any of his business. Besides, how did he know? I'm not exactly broadcasting gay signals across the airwaves.

I don't think he was hitting on me, he has pics of the wife and kids on his desk (although I'd probably go out for coffee with him if he asked :icon_redf)

Are you "out" to your doctor? Has he/she ever asked? Do you think it's important for your doctor to know your sexual orientation?

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I had a primary care physician who asked me if I was attracted to men or women, and I told him the truth. He told me he respects my "choice" of lifestyle.

He's no longer my primary care physician.

3. Apocalypte

I'm out to the doctors at the health service in college anyway, pretty much because I got sick of them asking lots of awkward questions about contraception and pregnancy every time I went to them.

I do think it's important for them to know, especially if you're at the doctor with an issue that could be sexual health-related.

4. Sicsemper79

Never had one ask. They used to ask if I was "sexually active" when I was younger. Now I am 30 and they don't bother asking anymore... I guess they just assume I'm not LOL. :lol:

5. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My doctor asked me if I liked men or women when I was like 15 along with a bunch of other questions. It probably has to do with medical records and stuff. If something were to happen to you and they couldnt figure it out, they might check for other things because you're gay. After all there are risks. But it's weird the way he asked you lol... kindof like he was building up to it lol. I HIGHLY doubt he was hitting on you. I said no the first time, i'm just waiting for them to ask again... They must understand that plenty of people aren't ready to talk about it at 15

6. Possibly Maybe

I'm not, nor do I think it's relevant.

7. Holmes

If you're going for regular checkups, it's the kind of thing that's good for him to know. He wouldn't have asked unless he was sure you were, and doctors see enough people to tell a lot about people, stuff that most people wouldn't notice.

I was asked once by a doctor, I visited the college health service after a physical problem I had when I was having sex. He asked, "Are you heterosexual?" Thing is, I was with a girl, so I hesitated for a moment, and said Yes. No point given what I called in to ask him to go into, "Well, I'm bisexual, definitely wouldn't call myself heterosexual, but I was with a girl when I noticed this". I don't think that really counts under the circumstances as lying.

8. Ben

Ben

I've never had a doctor ask that and I don't really see why I would need to tell them…

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told a doctor I used to see. She was trying various things to sort out my messed up cycle and I told her I didn't feel comfortable taking the pill. She said that I might need to rethink that in the future for contraception, I said a bti too quickly "that won't be an issue" and she looked puzzled, so I just told her "I'm queer".

10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm healthy enough that I didn't see my doctor in over a year and a half now, come to think of it. I hope she'll still recognise me if I ever need to come in for a visit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

She never asked, though, nor did I ever tell her. She's definitely not the type to pry, so I doubt the subject will ever come up.

11. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Same exact thing happened to me; my doctor asked me out of the blue. I was lucky that I was far enough in my self-discovery that I was able to tell him the truth; had he asked me earlier, I may have told him I was bisexual. Anyways, he hesitated when he asked, so it wasn't exactly a shock, but the same thing happened afterward; he just scribbled down some notes and went on to ask if I was sexually active.

12. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    last time i saw a doctor i was 13 . now im 19 so i didnt really know back then that i was uhm

13. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think its at all necessary for a routine check-up, so it sounds a bit odd that you were asked, but then again I'm not a doctor and they probably have a reason for asking.

When I had a minor health scare, my boyfriend came with me, and came into the surgery with me and the doctor, I told her that he was my partner and she was fine and just carried on with it.

14. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

My doctor has never asked me (he's never asked if I was sexually active either) nor do I think it prudent to tell him. I probably wouldn't say so even if I was asked, to be honest.

15. Sylver

To be fair to him, after I told him I was gay he did ask if I was sexually active. I told him I wasn't right now, and so he said I was a "celibate gay" or something like that. Then the examination continued after that with no more said about this.

I guess he might have been looking more for the sexually active part than the gay part, because I can see how sexual activity can have consequences to your health. It's just odd that he asked the gay question first.

It was also a little wierd that this conversation came up about 120 seconds after he was giving me the "cupcake reacharound" (to quote Colbert) with me lying stark naked on his examination table. I wonder if maybe my balls felt gay to him or something?

16. s5m1

It has not yet come up with my doctor, although I thought about making a comment when she recently told me to bend over to receive the rubber glove treatment.

17. EM68

I'm sort of surprised that no one had asked me about if I am gay or in a relationship. Over the past week I had a complete medical evaluation and tons of questions have been asked in preparation for my surgery this past Monday. I had questions about my occupation, if I drink or take recreational drugs but nothing about my sexual history.

18. Gaetan

I can't remember when I last went for a regular checkup. Beyond some medical issues with an ingrown toenail, the last time I went to a doctor was just for routine physicals before sports. They never asked if I was sexually active or not, nor about my orientation.

19. Zumbro

I've had my doctor ask if I was sexually active at every examination since puberty (even early enough when I didn't know whether to answer yes about masturbating :icon_redf), but I've never been asked about my orientation. I suppose if I had said I was active they might have asked, but who knows.

If they asked I would certainly say yes though. There is a difference in the risks that come with vaginal versus anal sex, and they probably want to have an idea what to look for, if anything.

20. James

No, but I would tell the truth if he asked me.