1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 more people in the last 24 hours!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jim1454, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Jim1454

It has been a while since I posted about coming out to anyone new. I've been doing it, but it is becoming almost routine now - so I haven't been making threads.

I had come out to my boss back in December at the end of my annual performance review (which went very well) and she was cool with it. I had also come out to 2 of my peers at work who were also fine with it. And then I came out to the 3 people that report directly to me, and they didn't really have any choice but to be cool with it, did they? :icon_wink

Then last night I was out for dinner with 3 people that I used to work with at my first company. I left 9.5 years ago, but the 4 of us stay in touch and get together once in a while. This was the first time I'd seen them since coming out to my kids this past summer, so I told them all last night too. As many people have said, they were very honoured that I cared enough to share that with them. And they were impressed with how I'd been dealing with all the changes in my life. So it went very well.

Then just now I was meeting with my boss, and her boss joined us for a chat. She's the senior vice president and controller of the corporation I work for, and was recently named one of Canada's "100 most influential women". We were having a pretty casual conversation, and I asked my boss if she had shared the news that I had shared with her during my annual review - and she hadn't. So I came out to my boss's boss as well just now. She was also surprised - but took it in stride. She was very positive - and said that I looked great, so I was obviously doing well. :icon_bigg

So I'm now getting very close to being completely out. It feels pretty darn good. (!)

2. RaeofLite

(!!) (!) (!!)

:grin:

Awesome to hear Jim. :slight_smile:

3. adam88

Congrats, Jim from Toronto. :slight_smile:

My boss has been one of the most enthusiastic people I know concerning being out. Whenever a friend of hers with whom I'm familiar visits us she will stop whatever conversation she's having with them, turn to me and excitedly asks "Can I tell them?". :grin: This happened yesterday with our accountant, who isn't even remotely gay but had some nice stories about friends of hers to share so that went well. :slight_smile:

Sorry for hijacking your thread for my own story, I just thought it was appropriate. :slight_smile:

4. Sylver

That's fantastic - I'm so happy for you! It sounds like you're getting positive responses all across the board - perhaps you're so comfortable with your sexuality at this point that it's projecting onto these people?

5. Jim1454

I suppose that could be the case. I certainly don't present it as 'bad news'. I just present it as fact so that they are informed. And the fact that I'm happier now than I've ever been in my life allows me to approach the conversation in a pretty positive way. :icon_bigg

6. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    Awesome job :thumbsup: congrats :grin:

7. Zume

Very nice..congrats :eusa_clap ..I still have not told any of my supervisors at work..only one co-worker ..hope at some point it wont seem so awkward that I actually can..lol..but once again..congrats on your winning steak :icon_wink hehe

8. EM68

Congrats Jim! I'm glad that you can come out at work. I really want to. I hope I can gather the courage to do so.

9. silentsound

Damn, Jim, you're on a roll!

Way to go!

10. Eleanor Rigby

Thank's amazing Jim (*hug*)

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For some reason I have missed this one....

Congratulations Jim! That's awesome!! Great that your coming out to your former co-workers and to your boss went so well! :slight_smile: