1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard is it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Latinokid, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

How hard is it coming out? So far only 2 friends know and its happened this month its nice to know that i can act like i am and not be judged hope that someday i have the courage to tell my mom......hopefully i wont get dis owned =(.:tears:

2. Casey17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As much as I worry about the same thing, I have a strong feeling most mothers wouldn't disown a child because they're gay. The relationship may become icy, but i think, in their mind, moms will always think of their children as, well their children.

3. CelebrityHead

Well said.

4. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

*shifty eyes* Thought you were talking about something else :lol: :icon_bigg :grin:

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

As an indication, in the entire history of EC I am only aware of one person who has been thrown out by his parents after he came out - and that was only for one night (the following day they had calmed down and his sister got them to agree to let him go back).

If you think there is a real risk of this, try to have something sorted out that will at least cover you for a few days, in the unlikely event that the worst happens. Maybe a friend or relative who you could stay with, who knows and won't make things any more difficult. Put the numbers of any welfare or homeless organisations in your phone, and make sure you have plenty of credit. And try to have enough cash to keep you fed on burgers or whatever for a few days.

But from the reports here so far, I think it's very unlikely.

6. BILL9854

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think there are so many stories, most of them fictional, where we hear about gay people coming out to their parents and being thrown out etc etc that you don't realise that in actual fact most people are very accepting of gay people nowadays, especially parents.
    I thin the only issue now with parents is that a lot of them don't know how to emotionally deal with gay and lesbian children, how to help and support them etc.

But I'm not going to say its 'easy' to come out, becuase it's not really. You just have to wait untill you're ready, and you'll know when the time is right

7. SpikySpice

It all depends on us, our courages, our ages, our enviroments, especially our parenst and the religions

well, soem of my friends said they will come out once they are already out their houses, so in case if their parenst reject them out, they dont feel like kicked out from houses. But 99.9% of the parents never reject their sons/daughters, becasu ethey knwo it's such a horrible thing to do, it dosent matter what theirs kids become, they are still their children.

Coming out ats chool is a big pressure since ther are soo many closed-minded people around us, most gay kids dont get kicked out of home, but out of school cuz of perr pressure and becaus ethey feel ashame about who they are.

But that dosnt mean wehn we come out, we all recieve bad thinsg, becasue some of our best friends will back us up , an dmake sure that we are ok, they even stand up for us sometimes too

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for sharing this, Paul. I think this is really important for people to know. Odds are it's not going to happen.

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I think its the mind set you have about it that's most important. That's why it's important to wait until you are ready before you tell your parents. If you go into it sweating bullets and expecting the worst, then it makes the worst more likely to happen. If you put in a plan for the worst case scenario, than knowing that you are prepared will make you more comfortable with coming out with your parents.

Try this exercise. Find a place where you can be alone and unseen. Now close your eyes and envision yourself telling your mom that you're gay. It helps if you go through the physical motions of it, though you don't have to actually say anything. Think of it as mental exercise. When you are doing this, imagine her having the response that you want her to have. Then continue as if the scene is happening. The important thing is that, during this exercise, you have to feel how you want to feel in that moment. This is called visualization, and it to be an incredibly powerful exercise. It will hopefully help you be more confident when you tell her.

10. panda

Gamer, How is it that you are so young and yet so verry wise

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Gamer....you and I think alike. :slight_smile:

12. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Thanks for your response guys and they help =D and i think you guys are right ill wait till im ready.

13. Owen

My answer to that is this: I have not had a normal childhood. It was by no means unhappy, but you'll have difficulty finding a person whose had a similar childhood. The mother of wisdom is life experience, and of that, I have had more than my fair share.

As to how I know about the visualization exercise, its a combination of what my mother has told me throughout my childhood and what I learned from a documentary called The Secret.

14. Today4U

:roflmao: :tears: :lol: :roflmao:

15. CelebrityHead

I've heard about that... Doesn't it also suggest that if you visualize a parking space there'll be one right where you want it? Or was that just how The Secret was presented to me? (The Chaser's War On Everything, comedy news program in Australia)

16. crimsonarcher

It looks harder than I thought it would be...

guess I'll wait.

17. Owen

Yep, it does suggest that, and it actually works!

18. Tom

Tom Guest

carlos dnt worry bout comin out, ur a gr8 guy and if sum1 sed they didnt like u cus ur gay well its there loss and now tht u have 2 ppl tht know so they can help you with support and on there opinions about hu wudnt mind n hu wud and tellin ur mum is the hardest part i fink, but she will b acceptin as shes ur mum and well thts what they do, apart from pay for things =p

19. CelebrityHead

Lol, I'll have to try it some time!

20. Hotty89

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know if i would ever have the courage to tell my family :frowning2: