1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm out. She's out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Time, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Time

I am one of the lucky people who finds someone in school to be their very best friend, that they can tell all their secrets to, and always confide in no matter what. I didn't find her until last school year, but I'm glad I did. This person who will be simply referred to as 'she' and 'her' (no specific names) has made an amazing impact on my life. We have so much in common, mainly that we're both very open minded and non-judgmental.

Even though we have become very close, I've been extremely reluctant in telling her about my confusion concerning whether or not I might be gay. Although she's denied it numerous times, I've always had a sneaking suspicion that she might have a slight crush on me, and if that were the case, the last thing I would want to do is tell her I like guys. But I decided this summer after 'finding myself' that I needed to tell her at some point, whether she accepted it or not. So I told her about a week before school started that I had a really big secret, and I was debating on whether or not to tell her. I don't like to do this, or have it done to me, but I didn't want to throw this at her without any warning. I said it was serious, and a really big deal to me. She reassured me today that no matter what, we would still be friends, and she was desperate to know.

I decided then that it was time to tell her about all of this craziness, and get it over with. So after lunch, we found a deserted spot outside, and sat down to talk. She said she had a few guesses, and wanted to get them out in the open first, but I didn't have to say if she was right or not. The first thing out of her mouth was "You're gay or bi". I stopped her there, and began to explain. I told her about how over the last few years, I've noticed and paid more attention to my feelings towards other guys, and the fact that after being called gay for so long, it becomes harder and harder to deny it when deep down you know it's probably true. I made her promise that she would not tell anyone, no matter what. I assured I wasn't going to try to force her to stay friends with me, but she couldn't repeat what I had said. Her reply to all of this was a total shock.

She's been called gay quite a few times herself, but I've never once doubted her denial when people would say it. After I came out though, she said she was pretty much in the same boat. Apparently, she's pretty confused as well, and she even told me about a few girl crushes she's had in the past. This was extremely comforting, and a major relief; it's brought us closer together also, because now we have even more in common.

At the end of the lunch period, we both agreed that the discussion was not over, and we both had a lot more to say, but it didn't all have to be said at once. We decided that we would both take this one step at a time, and help each other as much as we could.

I'm over-joyed to have finally come out to someone, and even more so that the person I came out to has the same problem.

I honestly don't expect anyone to read all of that, and I don't blame you for not doing so, but I really had to get it all off my chest. I've had a pretty good day, and I have very little apprehension/regret about this. The only thing that is unsettling about the whole thing is that for some reason it's a bit awkward talking to her now, but hopefully after being able to talk more tomorrow, that will go away.

:slight_smile:

2. Grof142007

Congrats Must feel Good.... You might wanna change ur out status even a little 1 person remind might make the difference

3. Nicknikko

Congrats for having the courage to do it!
    You're lucky you have a friend in which you can trust and by the way she is like you!

4. Time

Thanks for reminding me to change that.

5. xequar

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap (!)

That's awesome!! I'm honestly happy for you. I think having someone close to you like that come out to you when you come out to them is possibly one of the most rewarding, surprising, and ecstasy-inducing moments possible.

6. paul7836

Congrats. It takes a lot of guts to come out to someone. And its Great that she is in somewhat the same boat. I wish i had come out to another gay person first. It would have changed a lot.

7. Torture

Torture Guest

Awesome! Congratulations dude.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That is wonderful (and yes I did read it all). It will definitely bring you much closer. You have a wonderful friend there - treasure her.

9. thecoolmexican

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    congrats man! that's terrific :grin: you have a great friend :slight_smile:

10. CelebrityHead

I'm so happy for you! That's awesome, and so is your friend. People like that are sometimes hard to come by, let alone befriend, and I know you'll be the best friend ever to her.
    But this is supposed to be about you.. congratulations! I hope most, if not all, of the responses you'll get in the future are as good as this one! :thumbsup:

11. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's great! Good on you! (^_^)b
    It might be a little awkward now but you'll get over it quick enough. I felt the same when I told my best friend.

12. TriBi

Well - I read it - and it's great that you found someone who is such a good friend - and in a position to be totally understanding as well.

You can be really good support for each other :slight_smile:

13. Time

Thanks for being so supportive guys :slight_smile:

UPDATES

I've discovered what made things so awkward was that our conversation was cut short that day, and I had still had a lot more to say. Luckily, I got the rest of it out today, and we're pretty clear now. Even though I'm not 100% sure myself, I told her that I was gay. I'm pretty sure I am though.

The only issue now is her adjusting. I was talking to her about a guy I met on MySpace and how I thought he was hot, and she was very weirded out by that. She said it was just going to take some getting used to, so I hope that's the case.

She hasn't said anything more about what she told me though, and this kind of concerns me. It's almost as if she's avoiding the subject :S

14. cavillor

cavillor Guest

My ex-girlfriend was one of the first people I came out to because I was so tired of maintaining a charade. Even after about a month, any attempt at discussing male hotness would bring much awkwardness. She was very into me and still doesn't like to think of me as being gay. You and your friend didn't have that kind of relationship, but I can see why it would still be awkward.